Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Getting water out of a pipe

Here's a new one - I've run 100' of 1" pex under ground. I somehow allowed water to get in it, but that's not what it's purpose is. I've tried to blow it out, and that got rid of some, but I figured the brilliant guys on the Wall would know some trick or additive. I thought about showing a small foam rubber ball in there and using air pressure to push it through (and take the water with it). I could hookup a hair dryer to the end and let it run all night, but that seems like a long shot.

Ideas?

Matt

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Flooded pex

What is the purpose of the pex, if not to carry water-electric wiring?--NBC
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,201
    Shop Vac

I've had this situation with UG electric conduit,  water will get in just from condensation of vapor.  I use a good size wet/dry shop vac (filter removed) and connect the hose tightly to one end of the pipe (adaptors/cobble-jack).  Just turn the vac on and let run as you go to the other end and make the suction pulsate by blocking and opening with your hand.  You then could also tie a string to a soft cotton rag (the mouse) tied like a bow-tie and suck that thru the pipe.  The rag would tell you if the pipe is dry.  And if you are pulling wire you then already have a pull string inside.  A plastic bag works good for the mouse also,  I just trim the ends of the bow-tie until the vac takes it in.  Just don't get too much string into the shop vac.  Condensation will always get into under ground piping and any wire/cable should be rated for wet/damp applications.

The vac also works to get rid of the dripping water inside an existing water line--long enough to get a fitting soldered anyway.  Good luck.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    A mouse in a pipe

Interesting you call it a mouse. In much earlier times, the telephone company (Ma Bell) used rats to pull the first string through the pipe in wiring an urban area. If the rat wasn't pulling his weight, then they put a ferret into the pipe, and the rat ran on, and got the job done. Quite different from today!--NBC
  • Matt_Connolly
    Matt_Connolly Member Posts: 14
    I like the input

Shop vac might be the best idea. The low pressure aids in evaporation and I could put some cotton balls thru as well. As to rats and ferrets - well that's a whole different world, but it shows the ingenuity of us all.

Thanks for the help. I'm wondering if alcohol will help. Maybe absorb the water then evaporate?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Conduit mice

Rags are great for picking up water, but if you need to get a line into a pipe, try one of these http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ecatalog/N-1z0ccsh
  • Denny Reardon_3
    Denny Reardon_3 Member Posts: 17
    vacume pump

after you get the water out. Find someone with an a/c vacuum pump. You'll need to make up some plugs and adapters but this will  hopefully remove moisture.
This discussion has been closed.