Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Furnace Setup - What do you think?

2»

Comments

• My Installer is Back!

So, my installer, had agreed to change the near boiler piping from 2" pipes to the 2 1/2" pipes, to 'make me happy.'  However, they think I am a complete wacko and tell me that 99% of all companies never use more than 2" near piping.

But, they are changing it today...

However, they just refused to change the bullhead.  They said nobody changes old pipes.  It can screw up the whole system.

The installation manager said that 99% of installations never mess with the original piping.

He also said that any Dunkirk rep will back up his claims.

I showed him the manual...about the 'COMMON MISTAKES' section...which clearly states separating the mains...

He thinks I am absolutely insane...says that just because I bought a book...and read the manual...

He tells me he needs special 2 1/2 " pipe fittings...that nobody carries...

He also tried to scare me away...by saying...any change to the bullhead...might render my whole heating system useless...

I don't appreciate being threatened that this change might render things useless...especially since I have 2 babies in the house...and it's 30 degrees outside...

I called the owner...he told the manager to change the bullhead...as per my request....and agreed upon through email...

so...it will hopefully happen (on another day)...but not before...I had to put up the arguments...with this installation manager

I guess I knew this was going to happen...just so annoying...

• Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Great

Hang in there!
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    Wow

In the amount of time he spent arguing he could've had that tee changed.

Its good to hear you didn't give in. Please let us know how it turns out!
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • refusal to change the bullhead...unless I take responsibility...

My installer's official statement is:

I am sorry with your difficulty with our installation manager. Between him and my other installer, there is over 60 years worth of experience and what they both told me is that there is a possibility that if they change the bullhead it will have a domino effect with the rest of the system.

In my estimate it does say that we will re-use the existing supply and header but if you want it done we will do it but I don’t want to be held responsible if it leads to other issues.

----------

Is this true?  Will it screw up my system? 
  • ALIGA
    ALIGA Member Posts: 194
    i am not an expert

but think of steam as a blindperson, that hits the tee, which way does it go?

versus steam traveling two distinct paths.

i dont think it will hurt, but can only improve the efficiency.

i had a bullhead tee, and was removed and reconnected with two 90 elbows
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Fear is a powerful weapon

This guy REALLY wants to get his own way. Now he's using fear as a weapon to scare you out of your request.

Do you think the manufacturer would require something that would harm your system? No! Of course not!

Bull head tees sometimes work ok, but they are prone to problems. Changing it out will not create any new problem.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • Evilengineer
    Evilengineer Member Posts: 2
    Take off and tee

This is the work of a contractor who wants to get in and get out. Installs of boilers are quite easy if you can use original tie in to system and use 2" pipe due to threading machine. With that said I do agree that the T should be removed and they are correct it can run into issues if to much moves, but I see unions on both sides and simply cut the bull side.I don't foresee that a huge issue because steam is pressure and will push both ways eventually. That t is what size? because the system looks to be 2.5" and the T is much bigger than that. Were you having any issues with heating before the contractor came back and changed to 2.5"
  • rmoore007ri
    rmoore007ri Member Posts: 45
    bullhead T's

See some common "don't do this" at this site:

http://www.comfort-calc.net/Steam_Piping_Donts.html

The problem with the bullhead T is that when the steam splits the pressure drops by half in each branch. So the steam speeds up. When that happens, Bernouli effects pick up more water from the bottom of the header and make your steam wetter.

I've had a contractor install my new system this way. Could not get them back until the next season. Got them to come back and do it right. Immense improvement.
This discussion has been closed.