Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler sizing

Options
kev
kev Member Posts: 100
I have a system with 371 sq. ft. of radiation. If I multiply by 240 = 89,040 BTU.  Multiply x 1.5 pick-up= 133,560 BTU.  The boiler brand I would like to use lists AHRI NET RATINGS in sq. ft. and they have one sized at 381 sq. ft.  122 MBH. Literature states net ratings use pick-up factor o 1.333.

I think this boiler would be correct for the job and would like to confirm that I am using the right math.

Thanks.

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Boiler size

Are the pipes insulated? Completely insulated? If so, I only add 15-20% pick-up. If not insulated at all, I'll add 33%.

So multiply 89,040 by either 1.2 or 1.33. Take that number and divide it by 0.82 (replace 82 for the actual efficiency) to get your boiler input.
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    Short way around the barn....

Jstar is correct. But, if you have insulation on the pipes, 0.34 pickup is recommended by Dan in tlash, or at least that is what I recall. And, since almost all boiler manufacturers use a 34% piping loss and pickup factor for steam boilers, all you really need to do if find a boiler that has an EDR or sq ft rating that is very close the the EDR or sq ft of your system. It looks like the boiler you're looking at is about as close as you could hope to come.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • kev
    kev Member Posts: 100
    Options
    thank you

Thanks for the reply!  I am confident now.
This discussion has been closed.