Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Return pipe leak/no hot water/circuit breaker

I have forced air, a boiler, and a water tank. For two years I have not had heat downstairs (basement level), and have just dealt with being cold. About a month ago, my hot water went out. I called a plumber, he added a manual temp control to water tank, and I had hot water for one shower. Went on vacation, came back, no hot water. Called another plumber. He came in, said the breaker was flipped, and flipped it on, got hot water. He fixed the downstairs heat while there (new thermostat). One hot shower. Then, no hot water for 4 days. Heater/thermostat still working downstairs. Called an electrician in, and he fooled around with the breaker, turned it on/off. Turned heat on and off. He left, presto, I had hot water again. Turned water all the way off to install new countertops upstairs, turned water back on. Still have hot water. Went to spare room in basement, and ceiling was cracked and caving in, leak present all down the wall. Opening up the ceiling and the leak is questionably coming from the return pipe to the boiler..

Could a slow leak in the return pipe, somehow be the root all these issues? There is rust at the elbow, and It appears to be the "wettest" of all the areas of the celing.

Off and on hot water, heat downstairs initially not working, leak in ceiling? I KNOW these things are connected. My plumber thought it was the washer under the kitchen sink that was leaking...which also is above the area of the ceiling that has drywall damage, but I am convinced it is the return pipe. Why would the return pipe leak?

Comments

• 20 questions

What sort of boiler system is this-steam, hot water.

What is that pipe connected to?

How is the basement heated?

What sort of water tank is this-electric hot water heater, or boiler indirect?

Obviously the leaking pipe should be repaired, and the cause of intermittent hot water identified., and corrected. You will probably need to consult a boiler technician, and not change horses in midstream with different tradesmen every time!--NBC
This discussion has been closed.