Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help: Leaking Drain Pipe On Side Of Furnace

Options
I'm far from a heating pro and have a question. I found the pvc drain pipe leaking right where it connects to the furnace (see pic). My furnace is an American Standard Freedom 80 installed in May of 2000.

The leaking point is the plug just right of where my drain pipe comes out of my furnace. I'm not sure if it's a plug or not, it's just what it looks like.

Do I need to just buy a new one and install it or is it something more complex???

Thanks,

Jed

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options
    Drain

That is the condensate drain for the AC coil. It can be backing up and partially or fully blocked. It's just sprinkler pipe PVC. Cut it, clean in both directions, glue a coupling on it, done. You can try using a shop vac to suck it out but I use compressed air and blow them out. Common issue.
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Options
    Agree with Timco

It's probably clogged right where the PVC adapter comes out of the AC drain pan . I'd also suggest adding a union there to make cleaning the drain line easier  . 
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    Options
    drain

I agree with all, you should also clean drain pan,  there are products available to put into the pan to lesson future clogging ( pan pills ).  Check the equip. install instruct. and see if this equip requires a trap
    RJ
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options
    Coil

Best approach is to clean the pan, drain, and COIL. Lowes sells coil cleaner, I forget if it's indoor coil approved. If its never been opened or cleaned, do yourself an hour or two favor and check / clean your A coil. Access door comes off front of insulated box then an access door to see into the coil. You'd be surprised at what I've found in there. Sometimes solid sheets of dog hair or big yellow stains from smokers.
    Just a guy running some pipes.
This discussion has been closed.