Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler delivered next size bigger than what was ordered, Keep or exchange??

Options
Hi Guys!

I ordered a Slant Fin Galaxy GXHA-120 steam boiler  (120,000btu gas input, 309 sq ft) steam). My old boiler was a Hydrotherm VGA-125 (125,000btu gas input). Old boiler heated the house fine, and I calculaded the EDR of around 295 sq ft or so.

Supply house dropped off a SlantFin GXHA-160 (160,000btu gas input, 408 sq ft. steam). They charged me for the 120, and guy says I can keep the 160 for the same price.

I'm a bit concerned that the 25% or so oversizing will cost me alot extra in fuel. Is this considered way oversized, or not to worry? Would dialing back the gas pressure a bit and slightly under firing the 160 be a viable option? Or should I just tell them to pick up the 160 and give me what I ordered?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Boiler

Exchange it. You are right about your concerns. They did not do you any favors.
  • Steve Nichols
    Steve Nichols Member Posts: 124
    Options
    ship it!

I'm oversized by about that amount and it causes the boiler to short cycle even with aggressive main vents, low psi gauge, etc,  It's too big.  Send it back like JStar says.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Drew2100
    Drew2100 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Sendinding it back

That's what I figured. They are oicking up the 160 and exchanging it today.  Plus the 120 is around 100lbs lighter, my back and cellar stairs will appreciate that. ;)
This discussion has been closed.