Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cleanout the inside of a radiator

Options
REM
REM Member Posts: 15
Can someone please tell me how to clean out the inside of a radiator to make sure there is no blockage....we are going to hook up a radiator that hasnt been used for some time ...also changing locations on some... we had a house fire and they all need to be cleaned, but I would also like to check the insides.  any suggestions????  Thanks 

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Radiator Cleaning.

Hi- You didn't mention whether your system was hot water or steam. Steam radiators are usually pretty clean internally.  If you have the radiators disconnected and outside the house I would make a "wand" that I could attach to a garden house and flush the radiators out. If the radiators are in the house. I would just disconnect them and inspect the insides using a flash light. If there is loose dirt inside then use a shop vac to vacuum them out.

You mentioned that you had a fire. If any of the radiator were subjected to high heat you probably want to pressure test them for leaks.

Moving radiators,especially if they are steam, is a bit more that just hooking them up with pipe. Proper pitch and pipe size are very important so you might want to be sure that the guy doing the piping understands steam heating.

- Rod.
  • REM
    REM Member Posts: 15
    Options
    cleanout the inside of a radiator

Thanks for the info ... I will make sure my contractor knows he needs to pitch them properly. It is a steam system.  Luckily the boiler seems to be ok.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    You could always

fill it halfway with water and industrial strength detergent, plug the hole, pick it up and and shake vigorously. :-)
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
This discussion has been closed.