Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler selection / contractor selection

Options
OK, I've had 3 different contractors come and take a look. By my calculations, I need 235 SF of radiation.

Contractor 1 counted the radiators and gave a quote. He's low, and I won't hire him because he didn't size the radiation. He quoted a Pennco 1604, which has 283 SF of radiation. The next size smaller Pennco would be too small.

Contractor 2 actually sized the radiators, but I don't have a quote yet.

Contractor 3 didn't even count the radiators, but seemed to understand that near boiler piping was critical. He quoted a Utica PEG-112EID, which has 292 SF of radiation. The next size smaller would be too small at 195 sf

I don't think I want to hire #1 or #3. But I am wondering about boiler sizing and also brand selection. I'm wondering if I want to go one size smaller than these guys are quoting - for example 195 SF of radiation when I need 235 - or do I want to use the size they are suggesting (be a bit large).

Also, what about Pennco or Utica? I haven't heard any reviews of Pennco, and some people seem to like Utica and some don't. For what it's worth, contractor #3 was badmouthing Burnham and also Weil McLain. This is a gas fired boiler.

Thanks in advance and anyone who can suggest a good contractor in the Providence RI area would be helpful!

Comments

This discussion has been closed.