Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

another corrosion issue

Options
John P
John P Member Posts: 16
6 year old WM ultra 2 boiler and ultra plus 40 indirect. I lowered my temp setting for two week vacation, came back, turned it back up to EXACT same setting, somewhere around half way. I did start to notice water temp seemed a little hotter based on my usual shower valve position. Came home yesterday to system shut down and water leaking from boiler return as well as vents. Any thoughts?

Comments

• heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    edited August 2013
    Options
    john

that corrosion doesn't look new?

Why was the system shut down?

If I were a tech walking into what you describe I would fix them leaks (replace vent, make sure no water is seeping or leaking anywhere else), maybe install some dielectric unions on that tank, I would check the condition of your heat exchanger, I would test the water with my test kit and meter, check all temps and pressures, and treat the water as needed, may need a filter or good cleaning and treatment....

I take it you have well water, when I install a boiler I test the water if I have any doubts (from observing the condition of pipe interiors and just a little common sense), I have had boilers that I opted to fill them with bottled water rather than their tap water, its cheap insurance at 80 cents a gallon.

I have well water at my home that is decent, filtered and treated, but I pumped bottled water into my mod con and system, I think it cost me $16 to fill it, then $20 for the treatments, cheap insurance for a $25K heating system...

But anyway, if that corosions just appeared then there is an electrical problem or something that I have never seen in all my experience, but if its been a gradual deterioration, get a tech over there to fix and leaks, change vents that need to be changed, test the water, and take the actions he feels comfortable performing to remedy your issue....
This discussion has been closed.