Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Trap configuration

Options
Hi all,

Has anyone worked on this type of configuration (a vertically mounted thermostatic steam trap)? I observed several heating units where the temperature immediately below the trap was higher than the temperature above the trap. This doesn't appear to be correct. This is a Vari-Vac system and so I also didn't expect to see temperatures higher than 200F in the system on a mild day. Any suggestions/observations are welcome. I've attached a photo (needs to be rotated 90 Degrees) and a thermal image for reference too.

Thanks!

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Trap

As long as the B Dimension is adequate, a trap is a trap is a trap. Should behave the same as any other type.

As for the temperature...Does the 200F reading start before the trap, and work its way through, or does it come from the return first?

Is there a name or number on the trap? It might not even be thermostatic; maybe just a float.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Trap

Nevermind, it is thermostatic. Looks like the photo below.

I would check to make sure the element is still inside, and functioning properly.
  • Steam_Question
    Steam_Question Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Steam Trap Configuration

Thanks for your response on this. The highest temperatures observed were at the trap itself and on the return side which would lead me to believe that there is steam in the return lines..
This discussion has been closed.