Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

drier installed backwards

what can happen if a liquid line drier gets installed backwards? with the arrow pointing towards the condenser rather then then the evaporator. the drier in question is a sporlan 163s.i got a call for a check up on a three year old system, and found that the drier was installed backwards. the unit is a 410a unit and appears to be running fine with normal pressures, superheat, and subcooling. 

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited July 2013
    bass backwards

Depends! As far as moisture goes there will be "0" effect .As far as debris is concerned then ,depending, on how much junk is floating around. Cut open the next replaced F/D you get your hands on .
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    I my self

Made that mistake many years ago. My solution was to peel the sticker off. Nothing I could do about the word" in " stamped on the dryer shell but for the next 10 years it worked fine. And should be ok as long as the dryer descant doesn't start coming apart. Bear in mind my job was low pressure r12 system.
  • alotlikeearl
    alotlikeearl Member Posts: 68
    Potential Problem

Here is a post from the past that points out a problem that may occur.

Jerry

Eugene Silberstein October 19, 2012 @ 4:27 PM

Contact this user Direction of flowJust between us....

For the most part, if the drier is in good shape, it will work fine in either direction. The problem seems to arise if the drier is installed backwards and the desiccant cracks.

Remember, the filter drier does two things.... it filters and dries.

The filter is to be downstream of the drier to capture any particulates that might "find their way in to the system". These "particulates" include any pieces of the desiccant that might break loose as a result of improper handling, installation, age, etc.

Imagine what would happen if the desiccant broke up and the drier was installed backwards? You would have a liquid line full of desiccant chunks!

No need for you to cut one open, as I have some already opened. I will post some pics when I get back from Dallas.

Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.