Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ideas

Hilly
Hilly Member Posts: 427
I'm curious how some of you guys would attack this system.

Owner will want in slab for the basement, staple up under washrooms and kitchen (all tiled floors), cast iron column heaters in porches/mudroom and baseboard for all other carpet/wooden floored rooms.

Would you do seperate manifolds for each style that is supplied with its own mixing valve for the different temperatures? And then have each heater (or loop) fitted with an actuator?

Or are there some nice control / valve setups that will keep this system from becoming too complicated?

Essentially I'm trying to get some input as to how I can keep this boiler room as neat and tidy as possible.

Also when do a heatloss I have a question. Say I come up with 75K and want to add an indirect using priority control does that mean I do not have to add the BTU for the indirect to the overall heat loss when sizing the boiler?

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited July 2013
    Zone by zone heat loss

is step one.  Then spec your radiation for each of those and see what supply/return temps are needed.  Are there areas with significant solar or other external gains (like a woodstove)?  Are there areas with intermittent occupancy (like a shop or a guest wing)?  If so, the best bet is to use thermostats and zone valves as high limit controllers for those areas.  If not, you should be able to run ODR without requiring zoning.  Depending on the temps, you my be able to series-connect some or all of the zones, with higher temp emitters first and their output feeding lower temp emitters.  Depending on flows, you may need multiple pumps with hydraulic separation.  Or not.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Drooling

Ok. Staple up with plates right. Just say yes because that will get your water temps low enough to probably run them off the same mix as the basement slab. Water Temp one down..I'd size my cast rads so I could run them and the baseboard off the same water temp and I'd look at Suntemp Synergy or similar low temp baseboard. Now two waters temps. Boiler would be a Viessmann Vitodens 200. Have the high temps curver run off the boiler ODR and the low temp curve run off a Viessmann Mixing Valve that will communicate to the boiler. Boiler would be the conductor of the symphony.

Domestic is on priority so means nothing unless the DHW load requires a higher btu/hr then the heating load. Would have to know that load in order to give any advice.

With the Viessmann you could also do Vitotrols for indoor temp feedback to the boiler but would need to know more about the layout of the home to say they'd fit the application.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
This discussion has been closed.