Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit

Kitchen sink vent

JackJack Member Posts: 1,044
I have an 8' window in the new kitchen. The kitchen sink is centered in that window and the window is at counter height. This would give me a 5' vent arm below the rim. How would you vent it?


  • MikeL_2MikeL_2 Member Posts: 269
    AAV or waste arm


    I gather from your post that you understand it is never good to have a horizontal vent below the flood level of any fixture. You could simply install a new vertical drain in the wall behind the sink, elbow it, slightly off center, into the sink cabinet, and connect an air admittance valve before the trap adapter.

    If you have 2 x 6 wall framing, install a 2" verticle drain to the left or right of the window, and connect a 2" teewye with the branch aimed towards the sink, about 16" above the floor. Reduce the top of the teewye to 1.5", and continue this vent vertically to at least 42"AFF. Extend the drain branch horizontally through the framing for up to 8' or as needed to reach the center of the sink............
  • JackJack Member Posts: 1,044

    & Thanks!
  • bob youngbob young Member Posts: 2,177
    vent issue

    The vent can run horizontally below the window as long as it finally intersects with the vent stack above the flood level  of the fixture. another option would to address it as an island vent & trap below floor . air add. vents are bad choice.  bob nyc lic. plbr
This discussion has been closed.


It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!