Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

r22 condenser

Went on a no cooling call yesterday....newly installed 3 1/2 ton r22 condenser...with a about 10 year old air handler with txv....when I turned the system on I heard a continuous loud screeching sound which is coming from the condenser....my pressures are 500 hi side and 115 low side....give or take....amperage to compressor is about ten amps higher than rated....don't ask for superheat or subcool because I won't let the system run long enough for it to measure I installed condenser and don't want to ruin compressor...I thought it was over charged so I recovered refrigerant....same problem.....with the system off and most of refrigerant recovered (systems static pressure is 30psi) I'm still getting loud sound from compressor and high readings....bad Txv(restriction?) And when I said I installed condenser I meant my company not me personally....thank you Paul S
ASM Mechanical Company
Located in Staten Island NY
Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
347-692-4777
ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
ASMHVACNYC.COM
https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company

Comments

• John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    Sure it's 22?

Wonder if they put 410 in?

Or just so hideously overcharged that the compressor bypass opened, the screeching noise you heard?

Might be safest to recover all, new drier, vacuum good and recharge with known good 22.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557

A blocked or stuck TXV will not cause high pressure. I thinks John's suggestion is the only possibility: Pull the whole charge out, evacuate and start over. Make sure the condenser fan is turning the right way and the blade is in the right position, and that the coil is not center loaded. Does the noise start instantly, or does it take a little while?
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    r410a

Noise starts almost immediately....it does sound like the compressor bypass....that's why I thought it was over charged...and r410a being in 22 system was actually my first thought but I didn't think there would be someone that knuckleheaded to put 410 in a 22 system but you never know....thank you guys....I'll recover evacuate and recharge with new 22 and replace drier....Paul S
    ASM Mechanical Company
    347-692-4777
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    non condensibles

Reclaim refrigerant, triple evacuate and weigh in correct charge. A digital scale is a great tool to have.
    RJ
  • Eugene_Silberstein
    Eugene_Silberstein Member Posts: 349
    Absolutely Recover and Recharge

Since you did not do the original changeout, you cannot be certain that the system was properly evacuated.

If your static pressure is only 30 psig and you are getting extremely high pressures when the system is turned on, it is very likely that there is either air or nitrogen in the system. If the pressure rises immediately, I am leaning towards nitrogen. There is also the possibility that there is a mixture of refrigerants in the system.

In either case, recover the refrigerant (being very careful to not overload the compressor in the recovery unit), pull your 500 micron vacuum and recharge.

I mention being careful with the compressor in the recovery unit simply because, if there are noncondensables in the system, your recovery unit compressor will overheat. Throttle the refrigerant into the recovery unit SLOWLY with the low side valve on your gauge manifold and TAKE YOUR TIME.

Hope this helps.
    Eugene
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    thank you

Thank you guys....I guess it was some sort of non condensables in the system....I triple evacuated and purged with nitrogen each time....added the correct charge.....and system is operating beautiful....thanks Paul S
    ASM Mechanical Company
    347-692-4777
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
This discussion has been closed.