Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat Loss Software Preference

Hilly
Hilly Member Posts: 427
I know there have been posts about this before, but the products available are always changing, updating, and even new ones are becoming available.

What free, if any, do you guys prefer and trust for doing your 'professional' heat loss calculations?

I hope some of you guys will shed some light on what you think works best and maybe even throw in a little comment.

Thanks so much for your inputs.

Comments

• tom3holer
    tom3holer Member Posts: 45
    edited April 2013
    Slant/fin

The free Slant/Fin calc is often cited as a good freebee. I have used it and find it to be easy to use and easy to do what-if calculations. It is not been updated in some time but there is an Iphone/Ipad version.

Tom
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    also try

The HDS software atbvwww.hydronicpros.com

In addition to the load calc it does many other hydronic design tasks. I think their is a demo version you can try on.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Kniggit
    Kniggit Member Posts: 123
    Slant Fin then Wright

For a good long while I always used Slant Fin's Heatloss explorer, then I just figured about 1/2-2/3 the load for cooling.  Then this year I purchased Wrightsoft as one of my wholesaler's will reimburse me on 50% of the cost.  It took twice as long to do a heating and cooling load. But it will do a lot more design work on the Scorched Air side, with take offs. It made estimating take about the same amount of time the first time through.  Next time should be much faster.
This discussion has been closed.