Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Quietest oil boiler?

sunlight33
sunlight33 Member Posts: 378
Right now the boiler room is right across from a bedroom and the currently boiler is noisy. What's the quietest oil boiler available on the market right now?

Comments

• Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    Depends

Chimney vent System 2000, Direct vent Buderus. In my opinion.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • sunlight33
    sunlight33 Member Posts: 378
    edited April 2013
    EK2000

I've heard about system 2000, does it support direct vent? The house doesn't have a chimney.

The current boiler is Weil-McLain QB-180, how much quieter is the Buderus boiler?

The boiler room right now has louvered door, I know System 2000 takes fresh air from outside so the louvered door can be changed to solid door to further reduce noise, what about Buderus?
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Buderus

The direct vent Buderus is very quiet. It does take air from outside. The system 2000 is a power vent if you don't have a chimney which will make it louder than a direct vent.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • Sunlight34
    Sunlight34 Member Posts: 1
    which buderus?

wow, I didn't know venting makes a difference in terms of noise. Are all Buderus equally quiet? The G125BE seems be their latest product with very high efficiency and a high price tag, so if only noise is a concern, is it worth getting their best product?
  • Aaron_in_Maine

I have not done any of the 125s. Went to the class at Buderus for them they are sweet but a tough sell. I have done a few 115 direct vents with the riello burner and they are good and quiet. First you need to get a heat loss done to know what size boiler you need. Any good contractor will do one. Is this going in a closet if so Buderus also makes a indirect water heater that the boiler will stack on.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    I believe the EK

can be direct vented . You said you have a Weil Mclain QB180 . Do you mean the Weil Mclain Gold with a QB180 burner ?

My vote is for the System 2000 . Not only is is very quiet but it has built in advanced functions like a controller for 4 heating zones , and you can post purge each individual zone .
  • sunlight35
    sunlight35 Member Posts: 35
    what about propane boiler?

I did more research and I am starting to lean toward propane boiler. Do you agree that most propane boilers are quieter than the quietest oil boiler?

So now, what are some of the quietest propane boilers? Buderus again? =)
  • sunlight35
    yep

Yes, I meant with a QB180 burner.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Boiler

Both Buderus and System2000 are dead quiet. I think I like the Buderus better from a service standpoint. Easier to clean and install. Plus, the support is great.
  • Alan Welch
    Alan Welch Member Posts: 265
    Energy Kinetics Freedom boiler

It is outside -- no chimney needed.But I would not want to service on a cold January night .
  • sunlight35
    edited April 2013
    i see

one System 2000 contractor quoted me close to $10000, which is pricey. I am going to call a couple of Buderus contractors on Monday to see how much a Buderus boiler cost.

How is chimney vent on System 2000 efficient? Out of power vent, direct vent and natural draft chimney, direct vent is the most efficient and chimney is the least.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Boiler

Where are you located? We can recommend a contractor.
  • sunlight35
    Otisville, NY
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Firetube

I vote Firetube style heat exchanger if you want a propane boiler. I prefer NTI but there are plenty of boiler makers out there that offer it. A propane wall hung will cost more to install more piping will be involved than a oil change out.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • sunlight35
    Viessmann

Has anyone had Viessmann boiler before?
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    Oil or Gas?

I'm with Ron Jr., System 2000 quietest.

G125BE as quiet, both chimney vented.

Did a System 2000 power vented once, quiet too.
  • sunlight35
    oil or gas

Which one is quieter? Oil System 2000 or Gas System 2000? Oil Buderus or Gas Buderus?
  • R Mannino
    My replies

were for oil.
  • R Mannino
    edited April 2013
    Gas Fired

is generally not as loud as oil.
  • R Mannino
    Viessmann is Quiet Too

Natural Gas or Propane
  • sunlight35
    edited April 2013
    propane

Propane, my area doesn't have natural gas. /sad

Buderus GB142 looks like a good product, anyone have it at home?
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    buderus

GB142, I have installed sooo many of these, they are great units, I recently switched to TT solo boilers since people are asking for stainless steel, they seem to also be a very nice unit... go propane and don't look back..
  • sunlight35
    That's good to hear

Have you installed other boilers? Which one do you find to be the quietest? =)
  • R Mannino
    If I was the Installer

I'd do a Vitodens but if you get Heatpro you'll get a GB 142, point being it's the installer that makes the difference. Every install is different, different customer, different parameters, different budget, different fuel and different expectations. So many differences and all of them have different weight depending on your preferences.

So? How can we help you with your situation?
  • sunlight35
    True

Heatpro is about 700 miles from me, so unless they don't mind driving that far.....

I will contact a couple of Buderus contractors nearby and see what they can recommend. Meanwhile I am grateful for all of replies here, what a good forum!
  • heatpro02920
    The point is

you want what your contractor installs. If he installs buderus get buderus, or a v-man guy will install a vitodens, ect... but if you do want a specific model, go to that companies website and find a contractor...
  • James Day_2
    James Day_2 Member Posts: 191
    Otisville

I'm located right in Otisville and I install viessmann. If you would like give me a call we can set up an appointment.

845-467-1321

Thanks James

Day Heating and A/C
  • heatpro02920
    edited April 2013
    Sounds like you have a winner

Veissman makes some of the nicest mod cons on the market, I believe the also hold the best warranty for their heat exchangers on the market... As far as noise, these new mod cons are almost silent, I have installed them in kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms, ect, they are aesthetically pleasing and the plumbing can easily be hidden...
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Not sure about Buderus

but the EK oil is quieter than the gas EK .  Which is the case with some oil boilers and gas burners in them .

But like Ron said , strictly gas boilers are generally quieter than their oil counterparts .
This discussion has been closed.