Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

maintenance of thermostatic steam traps

Options
DaveB55
DaveB55 Member Posts: 21
I need to do some maintenance to the thermostatic steam traps in our apartment building and I was told that a pneumatic air tool with a compressor is the preferred way to remove the covers from these stubborn devices. My question is; can someone advise me as to what size of compressor I need (the PSI rating) and the type of removal gun I should purchase. Thanks

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    trap replacement

I would suggest you go to a good tool shop, and first select the impact sockets which correspond to the size of your trap cover flats, and then ask them for advice as to which impact tool and compressor combination would be best.--nbc
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Impact Wrench

Hi- The tool you need is called an impact wrench. While the most commonly used impact wrenches use compressed air,  models are available that use electricity.  I would check with your local equipment rental as they may carry both types.  The air powered models don’t need a large volume of air so a small compressor like the type that will drive a nail gun should be adequate.  70 to 90 PSI is what is needed.

When I was last at the local Auto Zone store they had an ½ inch 110 volt electric impact wrench  available at a very reasonable price so you might want to check there.

Another tool that I have found very helpful for checking traps, is an infrared thermometer. I use a  Ryobi  model # RP4030  which I got at Home Depot.  You measure the temperature of the inlet pipe to the trap and compare it with the temperature at the outlet pipe of the trap. If the trap is working properly, there will be a differential of 10+ degrees. If the temp is the same on both sides of the trap, it is not working and is stuck open.  While it doesn’t happen very often, a very large differential reading indicates the trap is stuck closed.   Take the readings from close up as from farther back, the thermometer samples a larger area. 

- Rod

This discussion has been closed.