Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PurePro Trio With energy manager w L7248 elctronic aquastat problem

Options
Hey everyone. Have a question for you all that really bugged me at work today. We got a call from a customer who was having insufficent hot water. I Hopped into the Van and headed over. The customer has an oilfired  purepro Trio with a energy manager and a L7248 electronic aqustat and an Amtrol Indirect.   He was getting very poor hot water only about 5 minutes worth even with the Indirects t-stat at full blast. After asking him some basic questions he said he had the boiler installed 5 years ago. this was the first year he lived in this house during the winter so he never used hot water while the heat was running etc... and never new their was a problem ( he summered in the house only). He also said he could hear air throughout one of his zones. So i started looking around.  At first i thought it was the Mixing valve as the stem was so stuck the temp couldn't be adjusted  but after giving it some love everything loosened up. So than i ran the hot water to see what was going on with the boiler itself. As i was runnning it I noticed that the burner never kicked on. That was strange as i was running 2 showers at 5 gpm full hot. The system  should have been replenishing the Indirect but it was not as whoever wired the distribution system to the Heatmanager wired it wrong. The boiler was running in "economizer" mode thus the boiler temp was never running above 110 degrees. Thus the boiler never fired hot enough to give heat to the indirect.

Now here is my problem and please excuse my ignorance as i am new to the heating side of the trade... To temporarily solve the problem i disabled the economy mode so the boiler would reach its setpoint temp and provide sufficent hot water.  However to FIX the problem I need to Priortize the indirect and seperate it from the heating zones.  The indirect is on taco 050 zone valves gold series no board.  Now one of the other service techs told me to just get a relay and seperate the indirect using a relay. However My question is can't i seperate and prioritze the indirect by hooking up to the ZR ZC bus on the L7248 aquastat? Isn't the bus for Priorization of the indirect?  And if so couldnt i just hook up the indirects zone valves endswitches to ZR ZC instead of bringing them to T+T and thus seperating the system so that when their is a call for DHW it will take priority over Economizing mode, Heat Calls etc.. and i wouldn't have  to buy and put in a relay also the customer would have sufficent hot water.  The tech i work with said that wouldn't work as only T+T are low voltage terminals and a relay was the only was to solve this problem. 

heres from the Honeywell L7248 manual: <span style="font-size:12pt"><span style="font-size:12pt">

ZR-Domestic Hot Water (DHW) Request</span></span>

ZR-Domestic Hot Water (DHW) Request<span><span>

The ZR terminal can be selected to service an indirect water heater heat request. This parameter is set via the 3 digit display (see Adjusting Settings section of this document). A heat request via the ZR terminal will have priority over all other features such as the Anti Short-Cycle feature or those enabled by the Outdoor Reset Module (See form #69-2335 for more information).

I guess to sum up my question- is there any auxillary 24 volt terminals one could use on this aquastat to power additional zones?

Im not very familiar with the HeatManager either but any help that can be given is appreciated thanks! </span></span>
This discussion has been closed.