Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Home heating - Oil to gas conversion

Options
Hi all, 

I am looking to convert a oil heat /indirect water heat system to a gas heat/indirect or direct, water heat system.  I am currently fielding local National Grid plumbing contractor referrals.  They are basically offering me 3 types of boilers, all under nice rebates. Burnham ES2 (105,000 btu/ 50 gal direct water heater, Burnham 205 series (130,000 btu)/40 gal direct water heater and a Buderus GC124 (130,000 btu)/32 gal indirect water heater.  The Burnham boilers offer me the best rebates.  But I am worried because the contractor pushing the Buderus GC124 stated he would offer me the Burnham ES2 or the 205 series, but he's been having problems with control board replacements.  Out of maybe the last 40 Burnham boilers he's installed he replaced about 24 already. He further said, since Burnham has made changes to their boilers, something about the way the wiring harness loops around the back of the boiler in an area where there is excessive heat.    He's advising me to go with the Buderus GC124 system and that I can't go wrong.  When he told me this,  I remembered a friend of mine converted to gas last December and they installed a Burnham 204 series and 2 months later, he had to replace a control board on his new Burnham.  So, it kind of surprised me when the contractor stated the control board issue. 

My Question is....   LOL,  does anyone hear of any on-going issues with Burnham boilers ?  As of right now, I have to verify whether the Buderus GC124 being offered isn't a dis-continued model.   I like the indirect water heater system and will probably go in that direction. 

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    did anyone do a heat loss calc

on your house before proposing?
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    edited March 2013
    Options
    As swei asked...

First things first, a heat loss should definitely be done.

Next you are on the rite path with the research you are doing, its the best way to see trouble in the water so to speak... I am not a fan of the Burnham boilers {IMO they make one boiler I would push and that is the mega steam}. I am also a big fan of the Buderus boilers, and yes they are redesigning a few things and discontinuing a few models, it doesn't mean they are not very good boilers by any means...

Now this is where the heat loss comes in, the smallest buderus gas fired boilers are around 70K btu, that is normally good for a house over 2000 sq ft... If you are under that btu load I would recommend something like the Weil McLain CGs series. {I would have the contractor install an outdoor reset control {hydrostat since he has to buy a LWCO anyway} and a delta t circulator for each zone {and have it direct vented not chimney vented} . Then for you domestic hot water I would install a Rinnai condensing tankless water heater ru80i or ru98i for larger needs...

But like has been said and more will say, HEATLOSS is priority number one... as for Burnham vs buderus, Ill take a 5 year old used buderus over a new burnham any day of the week..
  • clamshelldigger
    clamshelldigger Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Heat Loss Calc

Thanks on the heat loss calc advise .  I will pursue this.  Only 1 of the 3 plumbing contractors did this.  The guy pushing the Burnham ES2, 105,000 btu.  Said it was more than enough for my cape. 
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Options
    did he tell you the number or print a report?

Thats the thing, you don't want more than enough, you want just enough.... Also ask for an ODR control to be installed.. Keep in mind you will live with this system for the net 25-30 years {hopefully}
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    Options
    I'll Estimate

the heat loss of that cape on LI, my guess 40,000.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    40K?

Everyone knows that's too small! :)
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Options
    40K?

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Options
    40K?

This discussion has been closed.