Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

MONO FLOW SYSTEM NOISE

Options
bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
One family split level  ranch house  150,000 btu weil-mclain gas fired boiler new. bare bones boiler piping pump on return, feed valve & x-trol tank on supply piping from boiler . no air separater or flow control. when boiler & pump kick on , slight tapping noise from ceiling piping approx. fifteen feet from boiler. ceiling & walls recently completely renovated due to storm damage.  12 # on gauge  ,180* . 1 1/4 " black steel pipe w/ monoflow tees & 1/2 " sort copper branches connected to cast iron convectors.  what would cause this noise. i do not think the piping has pipe covering on it & when i popped off a valve  access cover on the wall  i seemed to feel a slight breeze . belle harbor ,ny area near water . temperature in low thirties with slight breeze. what say the experts is cause of this annoying tapping noise.  bob young nyc

Comments

• Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    Options
    Wood

The piping is touching wood somewhere when the 180 degree water goes through the pipe it's causing expansion and the popping sound.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    wood, but caused by

on and off cycles at 180F.  I don't suppose anyone did a heat loss calculation on the house before the 'gas fired boiler new' was installed?  What did it replace?
  • bob young
    Options
    noise

new boiler replaced identical weil-mclain same btu rating   boiler but new one is gas not oil.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Unfortunately,

"same btu rating" won't ensure the correct replacement is installed.  You can pretty much count on the opposite.

Outdoor reset control of system water temp along with constant circulation on those loops should remedy your expansion issue, but we need to take a look at the rest of the design before we propose changing anything.
  • bob young
    Options
    noise

i read you loud & clear but.....this is a extremely basic one family four bedroom split level operating in the same exact manner as  for many years.  only change would be type of fuel & possible framing methods in replacing damaged ceiling.  one zone , one themostat set at 68* all the time.
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Unfortunately

You just bought yourself a money-waster. That boiler is oversized by likely a factor of 4, maybe even more. What this means is that it will run extremely inefficiently due to all the short cycling.

I replaced one of these oversized beasts in my 1900 sf house with a modulating condensing boiler and cut my fuel usage by nearly two thirds. That's not exactly apples to apples, because I replaced my convector-based system with radiant ceilings, but the big difference is the new boiler and its ability to turn itself down to 1/12 of what the old boiler was putting out. And I'm STILL cycling when the temperatures go into upper 30s or higher! I'm also single zone, and it's actually a good thing for efficiency. Zoning with on/off controls has IMO been oversold as an efficiency OR comfort measure.
This discussion has been closed.