Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hanging a circ

AFred
AFred Member Posts: 81
Hey guys, I may sound like an idiot with this one...

Monday I will be replacing series 60 B&G circ (70 lbs).

I'm told its about 5' off the ground, and the flanges are connected to copper.

I want to know of a good way to support this thing, I can't see just setting on unistrut.

I don't often stray out of residential, but I do what I'm told, and I'd like to do it right.

-Andrew

Comments

• John White
    John White Member Posts: 120
    hanging circ

You should checl with B&G on this, but most circs are designed to not need to be supplimentally hung.  In fact, in the case of Taco, hanging the 1600 series will cause premature seal and bearing issuesAgain, important to check with B&G.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Hanging 60:

The Series 60 circulators I have repaired, installed and replaced were hung by the flanges when in a horizontal position.

I cast my eye on two (last week)  that I saw installed like this about 50 years ago.

If its a total replacement, use the black square cut O-Rings that come with the circulator. Not aftermarket red rubber round ones that will be as hard as a tar road in three years and weeping. That groove in the pump body wasn't cut in there for looks.
  • pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    YES

U should put a hanger under the motor. i always use threaded rod and uni-strut. but i always say every time i do one, i wish they put a spot on the pump to put threaded rod thru.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    edited March 2013
    Support

According to the install I&O you should not support the pump (doing so will damage the motor). However, you must ensure that the pipes are supported sufficiently.

Rob
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Support

I read that somewhere, long ago.

F&M Rings and plates are a beautiful thing to support pipes in any plane.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited March 2013
    3-piece circs

Were designed for threaded pipe, which laughs at the torsional load.

When we install them on poly or copper, we do one of two things:

Rest the motor bracket (NOT the motor, which is suspended on springs and needs to move around a bit) on some strut.

If the pipe is vertical, and there is enough clearance, replace one or more flange bolts with threaded rod and anchor the rod to the structure -- preferably concrete.  If it's hanging from a floor joist, budget for a vibration isolator.
This discussion has been closed.