Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Does an indirect make sense?

Brad Barbeau
Brad Barbeau Member Posts: 52
I've got a WM Ultra running on propane, been very happy with it. I've been wondering about changing our DHW from electric to an indirect but I'm not convinced it makes sense to do that. Can anyone share some insight?

Apart from the capital cost (which I know we can't discuss) does it make sense? I'm paying .59 a litre for propane ($2.23 a gallon) plus tax of 13% (don't get me started) which takes it to 0.67 ($2.52). We're on time of use electric here so if I can keep the tank off until the low period (7pm - 7am and weekends), I pay 10.887 kw/h, mid is 14.487, high is 16.387. These are also taxed at 13% but there is also a 10% government discount - not sure how long that will stay though.

If I work out a BTU per dollar figure for each I come up with - I just redid my math and I must have made a mistake with my math before, these are better)

Propane: 36132 BTU/dollar

Electric low: 27126 BTU/dollar (EF of .88) or 30825 BTU/dollar (EF of 1) I'm not sure which to use.

Electric mid: 20731 BTU/dollar (EF .88)

Electric high: 18323 BTU/dollar (EF .88)

I'm sure propane is going to increase but then electric will too. Are there other factors that I should consider that I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

Comments

• Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    Other reasons

You can expect much quicker recovery and more hot water capacity with the boiler/indirect combination. Given the cost of an indirect, I am skeptical that you'd see payback in purely monetary terms, or much of one anyway.
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Tankless

Rebates available make the initial investment easier to cope with, rinnai ru80 or ru98 are very nice efficient units, that will last a long time..

As far as indirect vs electric tank I wouldn't swap out a working tank, but when it goes bad it will make more sense to switch to an indirect....

Are you installing yourself or going with a contractor?
  • Brad Barbeau
    Install

If it was just the indirect, I would install myself. Tankless involves things which need a license but I have a friend who is a pro.
  • Brad Barbeau
    Install

If it was just the indirect, I would install myself. Tankless involves things which need a license but I have a friend who is a pro.
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Pro-friend

I would go tankless than, you can get rinnai ru80ip for a fair price and get your friend to give you a hand and you won't be disappointed... I have a ru98 in my own home rite next to a 95+ boiler where I could easily throw In an indirect but I have tried that with a smart 50 , and the tankless cost me less to run, with a family of four showering twice a day with dishwasher and laundry... A tankless coupled with a low flow shower head will save you even more... I installed high Sierra heads and they work better than heads flowing twice as much water...
This discussion has been closed.