Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How connect steam Cast Iron baseboard around 90 degree corner?

Options
bruce_21
bruce_21 Member Posts: 241
I got some special fittings to go with the cast iron baseboard to connect two sections in a corner one for top tappings and on for bottom ones. They are flexy gizmos that look like they will reduce the size from 3/4 to maybe 1/2 inside. Will this cause a problem by making a dam and keeping condensate trapped in the first section of the baseboard unable to get to the return drain at the end of the second section?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Corner mounted baseboard radiators

Yes you will have a problem using anything other than regulet straight iron pipe, angled for drainage.

If this is an addition of one more baseboard, will the riser/supply be of sufficient size to supply enough steam for both?--NBC
  • bruce_21
    bruce_21 Member Posts: 241
    Options
    What about expansion/contraction?

This is a replacement situation. 16 feet of cast iron base board now fed by one pipe steam system. Supply is 1 and 1/2 inch steel almost flat run out from main line. This run out also supplies another small rad on the floor above. The existing base board has 3 cracks, 2 at the far end and another at a point just before the inside corner. Per Dan's book TLAOSH I plan to add a 3/4 or 1 inch (which is best?) return line from the far end of the baseboard back to the wet return. I'm wondering why this baseboard cracked in the first place. The two 8 foot pieces are joined together with 3/4 copper male adapters and 90's. How much will this baseboard expand? It is held by the exterior wall one one end and I can't see the pipe on the supply end because it comes horizontally out of a cabinet. Thanks for your help!
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    copper expands

Roughly 50% more than iron does with heat.
  • pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    Options
    will

a 3/4 blk union fit inside the trim?
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Use

2- 3/4" radiator union elbowsand 2-close nipples
This discussion has been closed.