Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

piping

Hello everyone. I have a peerless ec4 steam boiler, it's a one pipe system. The problem I'm having is that the house has great heat on one side and the other barely gets warm. I have tried everything from cheap to expensive valves on all radiators. That leads me to believe that there may be something wrong with the piping at the boiler. I'm attaching a pic so maybe someone can spot something, and tell me how to correct it (diagrams would be helpful). I would like to thank anyone in advance that can help me, because the heating expenses are driving me broke. The site isnt letting me post no pics. It keeps giving me an error is there any other way to send or post the pic? 

Comments

• MTC
    MTC Member Posts: 217
    please repost pic,

it didn't come through. and if you can do a diagram, that would be helpful.

is the side that isn't heating well on a separate steam main from the side that is? or is it one long main that wraps all the way around the house and the cold side is the far end of the steam main?

either way, sounds like a venting issue. will need more info.

are there main vents on the mains/returns? where located? are pipes insulated? what pressure are you running at? do you get water hammer noises?
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Venting Capacity

This is probably a venting issue, as MTC says. Replacing all the radiator vents with the same model only makes them all vent at the same rate, which isn't usually desirable, and it doesn't address main venting, which is usually 99% of the problem.

You should have adequate venting on each main branch to allow it to fill with steam quickly without building a lot of pressure. Then each radiator should be vented according to its size and the volume of supply piping from the main.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
This discussion has been closed.