Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator refinishing...

Options
Fellow Steamheads,

I've decided that once the heating season comes to an end I would like to get my radiators re-finished to remove any traces of lead paint that might be on them. Now this may sound like a dumb question, but should I be concerned that once all the radiators are disconnected on the second floor that the risers and the main might drop due to the lack of support from the radiators above?

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    Options
    if

your worried about it, what u can do is put split ring hangers on the pipe where it comes thru the floor, that is the cheapest way, they also make riser clamps, they r a little more expensive but would prolly opt for the split ring hangers.
  • ALIGA
    ALIGA Member Posts: 194
    Options
    can you stick a block of wood under the neck of the valve

to keep it supported
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Options
    I agree

pipekings method is the best bet
  • Boiler Talk
    Boiler Talk Member Posts: 136
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Block the valve

That's what I would do, if there is no one around to hurt their toes. 
  • Mark_125
    Mark_125 Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Just a 2x4 ?

Are you just talking about regular 2x lumber?
  • Patrick_North
    Patrick_North Member Posts: 249
    Options
    Start in the basement.

Sounds like a good time to evaluate how well your mains are suspended in the basement. In my limited experience this is frequently lacking. Recently repaired a leaking flange union in our church's main caused by inadequate main support.

Good support in the basement keeps stress off the pipes, help to maintain proper pitch, etc. etc. With adequate support at the mains I wouldn't worry much about support at the radiators, though the suggestions already mentioned are good belt-and-suspenders measures.

Good luck.

Patrick
This discussion has been closed.