Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What exactly is the formula?

Options
Two quick questions: What exactly is the formula for a boiler horsepower, as in " BHp = ?"

Also, what is the true-gas equation, when volume, pressure, and temperature are changing? Thanks.

Comments

• bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    HP

One boiler horsepower=34,474 BTU/HR

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• plumbnelly
    plumbnelly Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Boiler horsepower

On the Engineering Toolbox site, it says one boiler horsepower equals 33,479 BTU's. If you use the latent heat of melting formula where 970 BTU's will evaporate one pound of water, then one boiler HP will evaporate 34.5 gallons of water per hour. I'm still working on finding the true-gas equation.
  • plumbnelly
    plumbnelly Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Boiler horsepower

On the Engineering Toolbox site, it says one boiler horsepower equals 33,479 BTU's. If you use the latent heat of melting formula where 970 BTU's will evaporate one pound of water, then one boiler HP will evaporate 34.5 gallons of water per hour. I'm still working on finding the true-gas equation.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Try

Ideal Gas Law
  • bml207
    bml207 Posts: 27
    Options
    EOS

Generally, engineers use steam tables to look up the properties of steam under specific conditions. Interpolation is acceptable if your conditions are not identical to those in the tables.

If you need an equation e.g. for computer simulation, etc, the equation of state used for low pressure steam (less than 50 psia) is the Ideal Gas Law. The deviation is very low (less than 1%) if you have dry steam.

The difficultly comes when you have very wet steam. In this case, you would need to select a different EOS (See the wikipedia page for Equation of State). These are emperical equations; there is no "true-gas" equation as such.
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Mistake

33,474 is correct . I can't even copy . You don't have to look far for these answers they are right at the top of the page , Conversion Factors . PV=NrT don't ask me to explain it .

If you google steam tables you can see the specific volume , temperature , pressure ,etc. for any condition you want . Try Sarco's web site lots of good stuff there .

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.