Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Plugged Steam Riser

Options
Rich_L
Rich_L Member Posts: 81
On a service call last week there were several steam radiators not heating. Most were plugged air vents or radiator valves closed. I had one radiator though that would not heat no matter what I tried. I finally closed both steam and condensate valves and broke the unions loose. My condensate return is open when I crack the valve but my supply has no steam even when fully opened. This is in a tri-plex that I just started taking care of. The radiator is on the second floor with hardwood floors and plaster/ lath walls. The owner REALLY doesn't me ripping open walls if I can help it, understandably! Any suggestions for clearing a plugged steam supply line?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, Rich

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Guess

Bad valve.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Steam

Two pipe steam...with vents? Something seems amiss here.
  • pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    Options
    yea thats what i'de do

shut down the system, take the valve off (inspect it),and put on a full port ball valve, and then start the boiler and make some steam. once u got steam, open the ball valve. it will prolly b a good idea to have a hose adp. on the b.valve with a hose and a bucket JUST IN CASE! now, hopefully u get steam, if not then try some compressed air, start off slow and gradually increase the pressure until u hear flow. good luck!
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,974
    Options
    Dont tell Mom

What I would do in your scenario is to remove the supply valve and check to see if it is fully open. If yes then put your mouth on the supply pipe and try to blow. If there is no obstruction then you should be able to blow through. If you feel like you are blowing into a brick wall then there is probably some sort of obstruction. If there is an obstruction then the fun begins. What is the obstruction?? It could be a build up inside the pipe(not that likely considering that there should be no standing water in steam supply pipes and hence not much rust/mineral buildup). It is also possible that there is a sag somewhere that is causing a water seal that is preventing steam from entering. It is also possible that the pipes are disconnected(that is how some of the knuckleheads solve banging radiator problems). Good luck!!
This discussion has been closed.