Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot water coil

Options
I have a 2 family home with a 60 year old Delco steam boiler. The existing hot water coil began to leak and was disconnected. A 50 gal gas hot water heater is just not enough and everyone is complaining!. There's no room for a 75 gal. tank ......so my question is,

can the coil be repaired/replaced? Thanks to all the pros on this site.

Comments

• MTC
    MTC Member Posts: 217
    Options
    I'm no expert on indirect water heating

through a boiler, so can't comment too much on that side of things. I'll leave that to the pros in that area.

I would suggest though, that the size of the tank is not the only limiting factor. I have a 2000 square foot house, 3 baths, laundry, etc. I have a 50 gallon water heater that supplies all of that with an endless supply of water.

Not too impressive right? Well, once you add in the fact that this same tank simultaneously heats the entire house through the radiant floors, then it becomes something. I've literally never run out of hot water - never found a combination of heating/laundry/dishwasher/shower/etc that runs it cold.

I have a 76,000BTU power vent condensing unit, due to using it for heating. You wouldn't need anything that crazy, but you might be well served with a little bit higher BTU tank than you have now at a higher efficiency rating and with better insulation. This won't take a lot more space, but will provide a lot more hot water. And you can leave the inefficient boiler off for the summer.
This discussion has been closed.