Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Antler Installation Details

Options
I just completed installing an antler with 4 Gorton No 1s to correct a main vent problem.  I have noticed there is a lot of heat radiating from the antlers.  From reviewing other posts and photos of antler/vent installations there is never any insulation on the vent piping.  Two questions:

1) Is there any harm to insulating antler piping?

2) Is there a clearance requirement between the top of the Gorton No1 and a wood sub-floor?  The antler is mounted between joists with the Gorton No 1 approximately 1/4 inch from the subfloor.  The wood is getting warm.  Should I install a piece of aluminum to reflect the heat away from the wood?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Comments

• MTC
    MTC Member Posts: 217
    Options
    I can't see any harm

in insulating the antlers. But I'd be interested in others' feedback on that one as well.

I'm not sure if there is a minimum clearance from a wood floor, but I would suggest putting a piece of sheet aluminum or something there. The air coming out of the vent will be a bit moist, as it lives in a wet environment. Also, if the vents ever fail and spit steam/condensate, it will protect the floor from that moisture. The heat I wouldn't think would be a big problem (I have heated wood floors in my house, it would probably take a lot of heat before it caused problems), again unless the vents failed and it was steam - wetter and higher temperature.

Is there sufficient air space around the vents to allow for good air flow in/out of the vents?
  • 1963tom
    1963tom Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Air Space Around Gorton Vents

The antler assembly is towards the center of the joist spacing, so approximately 7 inches clear air space to each joist.  The joists are clear the other direction the length of the joists (24 foot).

The basement is unfinished, so other than that the air space is "dead" between the joist there is nothing to restrict the flow of air out of the vents.

Good point about the moisture in the vented air; I'll install a piece of aluminum flashing

Thanks for the feedback.    
This discussion has been closed.