Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

vapor vacuum with reverse tankless coil?

Options
Eastman
Eastman Member Posts: 927
Has anyone tried using a reverse tankless coil teamed with a modcon?  Boiler sized for EDR, modcon sized for heat loss or domestic water.  The idea being to inject btu's into the system after it's fallen into vacuum.

Comments

• pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    Options
    huh?

mod/con steam?
  • Eastman
    Options
    seams like a possible solution

Steam boilers can have tankless coils, right? 

Once a vac is induced in the system, why not continue the residual boil using the tankless coil?  I see a two main benefits leading to improved performance.  First, a hard vacuum is prevented which reduces infiltration and steam disruption from unvented air.  Second, a softer longer cycle is produced.

These are features that are reminiscent of the coal fueled boilers that vacuum apparently excelled with.
  • ShawnG
    ShawnG Member Posts: 5
    Options
    1900s vapor vacuum system

Hi. I live in a very old house with a 100 year old vapor vacuum system. It gives beautiful heat but recently the oil company didn't fill my tank and we ran out of oil. After that, the far wing of the house will not heat. No one at the repair company knows what to do. Is there anyone out there that knows someone who understands these old systems?

Thanks,

Shawn
  • Eastman
    Options
    Shawn, look around on the site...

There are resources for homeowners in your position.  Dan Holohan has also published several books that discuss these systems.  I can't help you, but if you start a new thread others more capable will see the post and chime in.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    residual boil

I must be missing something here - couldn't you just continue firing the main burner?
  • ShawnG
    ShawnG Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you

Thank you for responding. I posted on the geneal page and a gentleman who has a similar system responded- giving me hope. I am a single mom, so my abilities to read and fix the system are slim. But perhaps Dan might be able to help me locate someone in ct that knows how to work on these old vapor vacuum systems.

Thank you again.

Shawn
  • Eastman
    Options
    concept is to run closer to equilibrium

The burner is sized to the system's EDR at 212.  If another smaller heat source can take over once a vacuum has been induced, I feel the system could recover the coal burning characteristics that they originally possessed.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,735
    Options
    Burner

So install two gas valves set to different pressures.

Or, install two manifolds and fire one or both.  Just ideas I'm throwing out there.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Eastman
    Options
    this can be done?

Can this be done without a power burner?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    not likely

I just can't see the additional cost of a mod/con, tankless coil, controls and installation penciling out here.
  • Eastman
    Options
    Relative cost

Yeah, but in terms of restoring a system to its coal burning like functionality, what options are available at the residential level?
  • Eastman
    Options
    doesn't have to be a modcon

A low output two stage copper tube unit perhaps.  
This discussion has been closed.