Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

heating without electricity

Options
GasIsGood
GasIsGood Member Posts: 1
I have a basement installed natural gas burning boiler that heats my home via baseboard installed hot water thru 2 Taco zone valves. With power out to the home, as it may be tonight here in the northeast, is there a way to manually override the automatic system? I'm thinking that turning the zone valves to the down position will keep them open. What else needs to be done or will it not work?

Comments

• heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    edited February 2013
    Options
    There are other options for emergencies..

unless you have a hand pump to pump the water through the baseboard it wont work...

I have setup systems to run in emergencies, with a simple inverter and battery setup... Also useful for other things like jumping your dead battery or running 120v items away from outlets... If you have a standing pilot boiler that will run without electricity you simply, put a plug on your circulator {regular male extension cord type plug end} and a outlet on your boiler {female end so the unit works the same while plugged into the boiler when electricity is present} then when the power goes out, you unplug the circ from the boiler and plug it into the inverter/battery pack set... This will run it for a LONG time...

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-watt-continuous-2000-watt-peak-power-inverter-97047.html

http://www.amazon.com/Clore-Automotive-JNC660-Jump-N-Carry-12-Volt/dp/B000JFJLP6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360384159&sr=8-2&keywords=jump+pack

just plug the power back into the inverter and you have 120v all day...

You can also do it with standing pilot furnaces and the fan unit, same principal just wire the fan instead of the circ and use a higher watt inverter and wire the fan on low speed....

It works... and no gas motors running, I have a customer that ran his circulators {2 of them} for a 6 days {on and off as needed} without charging the battery pack, then when the battery pack gets low, simply plug it into your car and go for a ride.... or put it on your car battery and let the car run for 15 minutes.... That customer said he charged his laptop and cell phone with it too for them 6 days that was a couple years back when we had that crazy october storm and people went weeks without power...

Anyway... There are other options, and you can run boilers and furnaces with electronic ignition also, just a little more detailed and should get a bigger battery pack and larger inverter....

FYI a 007 is about 90watts, that inverter can power a bunch of them... but some fan units are much more and I like to use the larger unit for them.. I have done this for about 40 people, lol all were amazed and very happy with how it works, I actually have a couple at my house, if the genny goes out, I can still run my gas fireplace fans and heat the parlors and master bedroom {we have 3 fireplaces}....
This discussion has been closed.