Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

wayne burner p265f

Options
I have a Weil Mclain sgo4 steam boiler with a data plate input of 144,000 btus. It has been converted to gas with a Wayne p265f bb conversion gun. The original Becket oil gun had a nozzle that burned 1.25 gph. The Wayne manual ( attached below) on page 5 gives instruction on how to size the gas orifice. We drilled it to the 144000 btu input from the data plate on the boiler. I have an hour meter and now that it has gotten cold the boiler runs a lot longer than in past years for the same outdoor temps. it seems like it is under-fired. After re reading the manual I think we need to redrill the orifice based on the original oil nozzle size. Page 5 in the manual shows for a 1.25gph ( original nozzle size) x 144000 for an input of 175000 btu. The manual says to size the orifice based on the gph of the oil nozzle. Does anyone agree with my understanding of the manual. It is currently drilled with a #2 bit and want to redrill with a letter c bit. we have clocked the meter and the boiler is burning just about 145000btus.

Thanks.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Burner

A steam boiler needs to be fired at a rate that equals the amount of radiation. More often than not, we find most oil boilers to be WAY oversized. Have you measured the EDR of the radiators?
  • Steam Heat in LB
    Options
    Edr

The total edr was measured at 429 square ft.the sgo4 can put out 450 sq ft.

• Fizz
    Fizz Member Posts: 547
    Options
    Check my posts from March and June 2012

We have WM SGO6, which we converted to gas using Wayne p250.  Like you said conversion calls for 140K of BTU's per GPH of oil firing.  The SGO 6 had 1.75 GPH nozzle, calling for a convert of 245K.  My installer originally fired it at 157K, but, like you heat was not sufficient.  Had him re-fire, splitting difference to accomadate our 520sf of rad, and size of boiler, using one size down from SGO6 sq ft rating of boiler.  Now firing at 191K, and heat is good.  Usual cycle lasts about 20 min-25 min(on very cold nites). Hope this helps.
  • Steam Heat in LB
    Options
    Fizz

Thanks Fizz, I do think I need to increase the size of the orifice to get a little more heat output.

This discussion has been closed.