Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

aquaplus indirect ?

Options
clammy
clammy Member Posts: 3,113
Well i was planning to use my favorite indirect only to find that the product line has been dropped by the supply house that carries them and well it's been a long time since i have used any other indirect and they have suggested using a Aquaplus tank .At a quick glance i see that it comes with a carlin aquastat but i am going to use it with a mod con and am wonder if there aquastat is removable and if there are any issues with using the sensor from the mod com to control .The other opition i have is using a thermomax tank which is another brand i have heard good about but have not personally used and the supply house which stocks them are a bit wishie washey on removing ther aqua stat and using the sensor that comes with the boiler.I guess i will be dealing with some one else for buderus stuff or dropping there line also very sad as if there panel rads are not hard enough to get now it will only be on line or end the panel rad installs ,very sad but as far as i know i seemed to be the only one who liked them and a few custermers .Thanks for any input  peace andf good luck clammy
R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
NJ Master HVAC Lic.
Mahwah, NJ
Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

Comments

• Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    Options
    So...

The manual, page 26, in the section about inspecting the anode and water heater interior, says "the temperature control bulb will have to be pulled out of the immersion well, located in the inspection plate." So yeah, I'm sure you can put a sensor bulb in there, but to be sure, you might want to check a recent Weil-McLain mod con manual as it will probably have instructions for doing this with their boiler and their tank (which Aqua Plus is.)

I don't like the handhole and cover as it seems to be the same style as the old Burnham Alliance A, which was susceptible to crevice corrosion. The cover and the flange would just rust clean through in specific spots even as the rest of the tank was pristine. Theirs was at the top of the tank rather than the side, though, which might matter. Or it might not.

As for the Turbomax (made by Thermomax) I have it and I like it. It stores boiler water and runs the potable water through a huge branched coil. It has a dry well and comes with a removable aquastat. The dry well is of a larger size, though. I just used a bunch of copper wire to wedge the bulb in there, and it senses things just fine.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    Thanks gordon

Thanks i will have to check w the supply house ,this will be the first turbomax and my first non buderus st150 indrect in at least 10 years or more ,makes me sad being i really liked there piping arraigment made for a very clean install with all connection at the rear making it easy to mount all piping to the wall oh well nothing remain the same all things are bound to change  i just hope i have as good luck with them as i have had with the st150 tanks not a leaker or failure yet cross my fingers .Thanks again peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    Options
    Keep in mind

You have to figure the volume of the Turbomax in your heating expansion tank sizing. Not that you wouldn't, but someone else might run across this thread. :-)
This discussion has been closed.