Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler lockout cover - OK to keep locked?

Options
elfie
elfie Member Posts: 266
is it OK to keep a lock on the lockout cover when the boiler is in operation?

there is another emergency on/off switch on the wall by the entrance to boiler room

thanks

Comments

• Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Options
    I'd say no

It should be easily accesible in case a technician needs to turn the boiler off or on while servicing . Kids hitting the switch ? 
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,787
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Think about it....

The switch is there, painted red, so that the boiler can be turned off whether for servicing or in an emergency.  Even though there is another switch, a person might encounter an emergency situation, see this switch, and then become flustered.

So, you have a switch that is supposed to be able to function, except if it needs to be locked out.

The lockout is to be used to lock the boiler in the off position, not in the on position.

Isn't the answer obvious?
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • elfie
    elfie Member Posts: 266
    Options
    you would think so

but when hartford steam boiler ins does an inspection and feels its not a problem along with a maintenance director, i thought maybe i was missing something

i agree it makes sense to remove lock

and the commercial boiler firm never raised it as a problem.
  • Boiler wrestler
    Boiler wrestler Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Cover lock

"and the commercial boiler firm never raised it as a problem."

maybe they have the key?

Why is it locked? Who are they keeping out?

A cover is not a bad idea to prevent accidental switching off, but locking negates the function of having a switch at all.

A door switch outside the boiler room to kill the burner circuit sounds like a better idea than mounted on the boiler.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    What is the point?

What's the point of having the one switch locked and one unlocked? It's like locking the back door of your house and leaving the front door unlocked.

Rob 
This discussion has been closed.