Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Problem Weil Mclain Gold Plus

Jimbo_8
Jimbo_8 Member Posts: 11
Gold Plus 40 In about 7 years Not Putting out enough hot water when showering have to turn hoter as showering allways was great I have my ideas what is yours

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Many possibilities...

1.) Was it always like this, or is this a new problem.

If it was always like this, perhaps the boiler is too small, or set up incorrectly. Or the pipes between the boiler and the indirect too small. Or not sufficiently insulated, or circulator too small or mispiped.

2.) If new problem, what changed? Possibly aquastat on the indirect misadjusted or needing replacement. Circulator failing. Depending on quality of boiler water, remote possibility of deposits on the outside of the inner tank, or the inner tank full of deposits. If you run the tank hot (140F or more), mixing valve misfunctioning: rebuild or replace.
  • Jimbo_8

Allways worked fine city water in the area a lot of lime  scaling tank or t-stat scaled up or bad dip tube never had that can it be cleaned or replace
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 904
    Only in the shower?

If its only a noticeable problem in your shower I would start there. If it gets cold everywhere I would check aquastat on the tank. Typically if the dip tube is bad you dont get the luxury of turning up the shower valve to get more hot water.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Shower Valve:

Is the shower valve a single lever?

What brand is it?

If you turn the hot water in the sink and it gets hot, will it take the hide off your hand? Yes?

When you turn on the shower valve to cold and slowly to hot, does the water get warm but never changes as you turn it to full hot? If yes, you need to change the balancing spool. It is stuck. If it is a Symmons, it is a TA-10. If it is a Moen, old style, you may need a pro. If it is a Kohler, you change the whole insides. If it is brand "X", you will have an experience

If it is an old style "pull out" Moen, you should hear a "click" or Thud in the wall behind the tub when you open a hot or cold water lav faucet in the same bathroom. If it is a Moen and you don't hear the "Click", there are shut-off/checks that you can turn the valve off with. The check stop washer could have come off and is blocking flow on the hot side. You can pull it out with a deep set socket. It may be a job for a Pro. If you try it yourself, DO NOT under any circumstances, drop the check behind the wall, You will have to rip down something to get it back. Unless you have a spare valve around, you will be days or weeks without water while you get another one.
  • Jimbo_8

In The trades for years but my brothers house,love him but can be a negitive pane in the a- - had him replace both cartriges,and check ballancing spools they seem to be moving freely he just wants it replaced wanted to get input before ripping out heater and replacing (the shower valves are moentrol) 
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Moentrol:

Did you try what I said about the hot water in the bathroom lav hot water?

If it is a pull out Moen, the balancing spool is behind that big nut to the upper right of the cartridge. They are extremely difficult to get out.

If all the water in the house is cool, maybe it has something to do with the heater. But if it only the shower, be careful. No matter how screwed up the Gold+ tank is, it should make the water hot unless it either has a broken dip tube or the thermostat is bad. I have seem more than one. One symptom of a bad thermostat is that there is a fine line between running and not. Sort of the same fine line between a groove and a rut. I have one that doesn't work correctly now but is acceptable. If I turn it up or down one notch, it won't start the circulator. Do you have a good connection where the wires connect to the thermostat plug?

You're there and I am not.
  • Jimbo_8

Thanks to all the help from here and me never going there just my brother doing what i told him bad end switch honeywell zone valve replace it tommorrow thanks Guy,s
  • Jimbo_8

Thanks to all the help from here and me never going there just my brother doing what i told him bad end switch honeywell zone valve replace it tommorrow thanks Guy,s
This discussion has been closed.