Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Smallest Indirect?

ced48
ced48 Member Posts: 469
What is the smallest available indirect water heater?

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    99.9% sure...

the the HTP- Super stor ultra 20 is as small as it gets. What is the application?
  • ced48
    Low demand

I just need to supply enough water for one shower at a time and little else. I was going to use a combi boiler that would have given me 2 1/2 /gpm, but it looks like, with the heating demand of 30,000 BTU the boiler end is going to be way oversized. What I really liked about this unit was it was only 9" deep and fit just about anywhere (Perhaps Challenger CC105). I am trying to relocate the heating and hot water from the basement to the first floor after Super Storm Sandy paid a visit.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Small indirect

Look at using the TT Challenger Combi CC85 it's input is 85,000 BTU and it delivers 2GPM of domestic hot water. Then install a Delta 1.5 GPM shower head. This boiler has outdoor reset control so it will only fire at the BTU load depending on the outside temp. When you need domestic hot water the boiler has priority for the domestic hot water.
  • ced48
    Bob

This is where I would like to go, but everyone has me concerned that because the CC85 is still sized at 2 times the highest load, short cycling will b a giant headache.
  • Eastman
    Eastman Member Posts: 927
    Have you thought about leaving the indirect in the basement?

Have you thought about leaving the indirect in the basement?  I don't think it would be bothered by floods much as long as it was held in place.
  • ced48
    Yes-

Trying to avoid it. If I place the boiler where I want, the run to the indirect would quite long-
  • Eastman
    Eastman Member Posts: 927
    I wouldn't be too worried

What kind of length are we talking about?  Or are you more concerned about what it has to go through?
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 605
    Burnham Alliance SL

We had a 5 or 10 gallon size to try out . Not sure if they're readily available though .

I have a 20 gal. Superstor Ultra that works great in our 1 bath home .
  • ced48
    A 10 Gallon Might Work

but it does not seem to be available-
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    HTP

HTP makes a 5 or 6 gallon for marine use. Has heat exchanger that You could hook up to a boiler instead of a boat engine. It also has electric elements. I have one in my boat.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    I really wish that

Triangle Tube would offer the Excellence in a 60k version here.   The internal 14 gallon indirect is a perfect fit for a small house, but the 110k firing rate is just off the charts for that size dwelling.
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    Or

you could get a turn down rate that could modulate really low on the PE 110. But I feel the same way you do, a TT PE60 would be a great package.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    turn down rate

I have been told that somewhere south of 5:1 burner efficiencies tend to suffer.  TT limits some of their minimum firing rates in order have one controller for the entire line (and a single spares kit which covers everything up to 250 MBTU/hr.)
This discussion has been closed.