Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Monitoring boiler and furnace energy consumption

J Diamond
J Diamond Member Posts: 11
I am trying to help a small brewery track its energy use. The electric side is easy, but the natural gas side is presenting some challenges. What strategies have you found to be successful for indirectly monitoring natural gas usage with air handlers and steam boilers? Even a single natural gas flow meters would be prohibitively expensive.

One of their three air handlers has a multi-stage burner controller. Their Triad CMS-900-SH low-pressure steam boiler uses a Honeywell PressureTrol modulating controller (P7810-1000) with a JR30A-10 Power Flame burner.

My ideas so far:

1. Split the 4-20 mA control signal in the PressureTrol unit to a data logger, and estimate the modulation based on this signal.

<strong>Problem: </strong>Their electrician feels that this could possibly damage the controller, and doesn't want to assume that liability.

2. Place a high temperature thermocouple in the flue of the air handler furnace and the boiler, and estimate the modulation based on recorded temperature.

<strong>Problem:</strong> The wireless networked data logger system I am using is designed for indoor use. The roof-top air handlers would require dedicated outdoor data loggers to measure flue temps, and data collection would have to be done manually.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you for your help.

Comments

• pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    WHAT ELSE RUNS ON GAS?

is it important to know what each heating unit is using, what other gas appliances run of gas
  • J Diamond
    J Diamond Member Posts: 11
    Other gas appliances

If I can get an aggregate measurement for all of the air handlers, that would be acceptable, if not 100% optimal.

There's a also a domestic hot water heater heater, ovens, and a cooking range in the restaurant. I believe that's it.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Actual eneergy consumption

At most plants that produce food or beer, we use K&H flow meters to measure what is used by each process. Thhis way, one knows what it actualy costs to produce! Pay now or pay later!
  • pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    hey j

did u find what your looking for.
This discussion has been closed.