Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Changing vent size

Options
Dustyk
Dustyk Member Posts: 1
New installation. I want to direct vent a Weil-McLain Gold . 7 " breech. Field Controls only, offers 6" or 8" wall termination kit. Can I run 6" right out the top of boiler to 6" termination? The run is 2' vertical , 2' horizontal to wall. Or is it better to up size to 8" termination kit?

Comments

• chapchap70
    chapchap70 Member Posts: 139
    Options
    Do not downsize

If the connection out of the top of the boiler is 7 inches, the manufacturers usually do not want the flue piping to be 6 inches otherwise they would have made it 6 inches themselves.

Usually it is better to go up a size if you can't get the same size venting as the boiler. 
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    haven't seen one

I would check on direct venting a Gold boiler 1st. I have only seen Ultra boilers direct vent, never a Gold series. Weil would direct you to the to the kit for it, if it can be done.  I've also never seen any size bigger than 6 inch on the exhaust input, 5 being the most common. Power venting is another story. You can go 7" down to 4-5" depending on the BTU input of the vent
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Direct Venting a Gold:

If asked to Direct Vent a Gold, I would refuse. When the problems start, I will look like a fool, trying to fix the unfix-able without Power venting.

Like Billtocase says, if Carlin wanted it direct vented, they would sell or recommend a kit.

An oil company I deal with has ripped out every direct vented oil burner in their service base due to problems for a Power venter or a metal chimney.
This discussion has been closed.