Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostat Accuracy

SLC
SLC Member Posts: 37
Since replacing my main air valve with Gorton #1's my heat has been outstanding..which led me to investigate the accuracy of my thermostat as the room temp room would read 66 deg on my thermostat, but it felt more like 70 deg, so I purchase another identical HoneyWell RTH 6350 and put it on top of the original one along with a calibrated thermometer, and they seem to be off from each other......Do these vary that much and if so is there a better one to purchase with more accuracy? Thanks for your advice......

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Calibration

Some thermostats have a calibration mode where you can adjust the reading. My lux does don't know about yours.

I lie to mine so my wife thinks its 72 when it's really only 70. She's part reptile.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Accuracy

The working t'stat is attached to the wall, and there is a hole in the wall for the wirers and a breeze is in the wall bay. Stick a probe style thermometer in the hole and see what the bay air temp is.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited January 2013
    double post

• pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    A REPTILE!!!

UHMMMM.... i hope u have radiant.  i've got a heated rock for mine and she loves it!
  • SLC
    Cool

Great Idea, I will try that........Thanks
  • SLC
    Cool

• SLC
    Cool

• SLC
    Cool

• SLC
    Cool

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Of course

Radiant is a staple in my house. I just like to mess with the better half. Experiment
  • Boiler Talk
    Boiler Talk Member Posts: 138
    Seal the holes

If I remember correctly, my instructions said to plug the wire holes.  Just put some gum or toothpaste in the holes where the wires come out of the wall.  Replace the thermostat and you don't need to be concerned too much about probing.  If your house is that breezy, you could try sealing up the house.  Search house sealing or blower door tests.   You can find big leaks in you house by using the bathroom fans and a window fan.  Turn off all things that are burning to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.  Turn on the fans to make a negative pressure in the house.  Go around with a wet hand or a incense stick.  You'll find lots of leaks.  Write down what you find so you can plan your sealing day.  I needed lots of caulk. 
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    doesn't heat rise?

You should be able to set that thermostat
This discussion has been closed.