Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

water line

jhansen
jhansen Member Posts: 59
Single pipe steam system. Newer boiler. When the boiler is operating the water level is steady and mid to low third of the sightglass. On the offcycle the gauge goes down quickly to bottom half inch. So is the water getting siphoned out of the boiler due to improper main vent. Perhaps vacuum type. Any help is always appreciated. You guys are great.

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Water

The water in the glass may only represent that exact location in thw boiler. The water level is likely tilted towards the steam opening. I would assume that there is only one pipe coming out of the boiler...?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    edited January 2013
    water going byebye

When I first installed my boiler for whatever reason the system would run and it would be fine but when it would shut off my water level would drop a lot.  The LWCO would kick in doing nothing because the burner was already off, and the water would almost disappear from the gauge glass.  Then the water would slowly return.

I cannot tell you why it was doing it as my wet return was brand new, I had plenty of main venting and radiator venting and in fact none of this changed.   All I did was a lot of skimming to remove oils and somehow that whole thing just stopped happening.  My water level doesn't drop too much while running and then just comes back up slowly when the burner shuts off.

Sorry I can't be of much help other then "yea, I saw that too and don't know why it stopped".
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
This discussion has been closed.