Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help with understanding the possibility of non-traditional use of PEX

Kanefire
Kanefire Member Posts: 2
I have a floatation tank (sensory deprivation) and am looking for an alternate method of heating it to avoid any electromagnetic interference caused by AC or DC heating.

I was considering using PEX, but this is obviously not a traditional use of PEX and I would like a better understanding of what some of the drawbacks, pitfalls, or just outright misconceptions that I have may be.

The idea would be to use a closed system and recirculate the same water. I am considering 1/2" tubing at approximately 50' to be could 4 times in a 3' x 5' elipse. Conceivably I'd like to have an inline heater and hot water pump.

At first thought, is this project doable?

Would it create any noise? The environment of a floatation tank needs to be silent.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,792
    tub or spa?

does the tub get drained after every use? Or it it more like a spa that is always filled and maintained at a certain temperature?

How many gallons? In a heated space? Covered? How will you heat the fluid inside the pex to maintain the heat exchange. What about about mounting the tube inside the tub?

It may be easier, and a better HX to put a heat exchanger outside the tub and just circulate through that.

Pex would not be a great heat exchanger material.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.