Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil pump

Options
targetman
targetman Member Posts: 105
Anyone ever worked on a Weil 4100? I'm dealing with one and it's the only one I have ever seen.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    ?

What's wrong with it?
  • targetman
    targetman Member Posts: 105
    Options
    won't shut off

First off it's a duplex pump, but only one pump is piped and being used. This is not my account so I don't know the normal operation of this pump. I was sent today to change the motor and seal. This is no Watchman. The impeller looks more like a sprocket. It's flat and about a 1/4" thick. The seal is a lip seal. The replacement motor was 1/2 hp and the original was 1/4. After the repairs were made, I placed it back in service. First thing I notice is how loud it operates. The janitor said he thought it was always loud. The tank was full of condensate so I wanted to see it cycle. I had yet to turn the steam back on so I did't think it would take that long. After about 10 minutes it was still pumping. I broke a union to verify. Pulled the motor and pump also. It was about two thirds full. Turned the heat back on and left for my dentist appointment. Got a call an hour and a half later. The still had not cycled off. Need some ideas for tomorrow.
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 659
    Options
    It's a turbine pump....

not a centrifugal.  Turbine pumps are positive displacement pumps usually used for low flow, high head applications.  They are very sensitive to wear, not like a centrifugal.  I would check the condition of the impeller and cases.  If they are worn, the impeller will spin but not pump.  I would also check to see if there is a clogged strainer at the impeller's inlet.  If it were me, I would consider a conversion centrifugal type pump kit to fit this receiver, or a whole new centrifugal type condensate pump set with tank and float switch.

Centrifugal type pumps can take a lot of wear and still pump.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
This discussion has been closed.