Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Curiosity killed the cat, cast bronze fittings

Solid_Fuel_Man
Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
Quick question, the maybe not dead yet men used to use a lot of cast bronze fittings in their copper systems.  Nowadays this cast bronze is more expensive, just curious as to why the may not be be dead yet men used them instead of the wrot copper fittings that are common place in a copper system.  I'm speaking of Ts elbows threaded adaptors etc.

Thanks for satisfying my own curiosity. 

TS
Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    cost

and availibility. The cast bronze came first. Wrought fittings were new age stuff. They were also promoted because the wrought fittings could be soldered faster. Back in the day at trade shows they would have soldering races with the prize being a bucket of fittings. The salesman would have the wrought fittings and the plumber would have the cast bronze. Most days the saleman won. An old timer from Long Island was one of the few I met that beat the salesman.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Interesting

I'd guess the transition must have been in the early 60s, as the work I've seen with said bronze fittings were in early 60s and prior installations.  Funny you talk about the old times beating the salesman.  An old timer gave me a couple of buckets of fittings and the majority of them are bronze and long sweep copper.  He retired in the late 60s

TS
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
This discussion has been closed.