Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

False hope for radiator

Options
Fizz
Fizz Member Posts: 547
Found that lateral from run-out to riser was pitched wrong, corrected it , heard rush of some water.  StIll no heat to radiator.  Gets to valve or sometimes not quite.  Wondering if it's a balance problem?

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,706
    Options
    Rush of water

Are you sure that horizontal section is pitched enough?  You need an inch per 10 feet if I remember correctly assuming its connected to the main via a 45.  For a 90 degree its something like an inch per foot.

I have a runout that after a local plumber replaced the pipe it was pitched bad enough it wouldn't heat, ever.  He used iron pipe and did a good job but botched that part.  I think its because the oirignal had a hole, probably drilled in it to let condensate drain and he assumed that part was good when he put it back together.

Either way, with a little more pitch it worked, but banged on start up and worked slow.  Condensate laying the pipe eats steam and under severe cases will eat enough to cause severe banging.

Sure, it could be a balancing issue as well, my system if I vent my short main fast and vent the 3 radiators on it fast it causes all kinds of issues for the other main.  Shut off two or three radiators by flipping the vents and see what it does.  If you get a ton of steam with zero banging then I'd go with balancing issue and slow up other radiators.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
This discussion has been closed.