Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Megasteam Gas conversion?

vaporvac
vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
Did that title get your attention? This is more a theoretical question prompted by my conversation with Karen at simplyplumbing.com

First of all, I'd like to give them a shout out here...very professional and accommodating. Although the TR50 isn't listed in their catalogue, it's not a problem getting it from them, so if you don't see what you want online, just give them a call. And thanks to Jpf321 for suggesting them  in an old post. (BTW, Karen speaks very highly of JPF321 and this site.)

In talking about the gas conversion burner, Karen mentioned a client that had done the same with a Burnham. I didn't think much of it until I asked which one, and she said the Megasteam!  The buyer somehow found a compatible gas burner and away he went.

So, my question is:  has anyone done this and if so what are the numbers? Does it void the warranty and that's why no one does it, or are folks just doing the conversion, but not writing about it here. I sort of hoped along with everyone else that this option would have been available when I absolutely needed a replacement, but that time is now so I'm giving up...unless this is a viable option.

I understand the efficiencies won't be quite as great, but I see so many other advantages in terms of longevity with the 3-pass, that I'm just curious how this would work out and what are the downsides. Thank you for any comments.
Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    It does void the warranty

It is not yet approved or tested as of me writing. Can a person put a carlin on a megasteam, yes. Does it then become a big issue if anything goes wrong? Yes. Conversion burners were made to fit any boiler. The issue with a megasteam is no UL listing or approval of use by either the burner manufacturer or Burnham. I think a professional with proper training and equipment could do it correctly and get good numbers. You would also want to go up a section and down fire for good numbers like Biasi does when they fire there three pass on gas. But the problem would be inspectors in my area will not allow it if they look into it as no papers show you are allowed to.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Megasteam

Enreynolds has converted a Megasteam to run his minitube system. The largest Megasteam is rated at 629sqft EDR. I think even 2 of these are smaller than you need Vaporvac.
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    I think he's the one!

I think he's the one! Karen mentioned a first name in passing, and said he knew exactly what he needed. Duh...if he's set up the mini-tube system I guess he would. I'm glad to know conversion voids the warranty and it's too small for my house. I hadn't ever checked on that . I'd hate to go running off in a different direction at this point in the game. I am just curious how it's worked out for those who've done so as I can't wrap my head around Burnham's decision. I'll have to go back and read those posts.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Why not a Smith 19HE?

still curious...
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    one thing that is so great about megasteam

the flue exists below the water line. This means no dry cast iron getting the heat to it. This alone I think will extend the boiler life. There are plenty of large boilers that can use a power burner. If the mega is too small it is no big loss.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.