Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Question on Tape for Pipe Insulation

Options
Hey guys.

What tape do you use to hold pipe insulation together? It seems the one I've been using from Home Depot seems to fall apart a few months later due to the heat. Or maybe I should be wrapping more of it?

Are there any youtube videos or websites that teach how to put pipe insulation on pipes? I know it's easy but had some trouble with the joints.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Pipe Insulation

The original asbestocel was held on with metal straps. I did the same thing with cable ties. If I ever have to remove insulation just cut the ties. They make special pieces to go over tees and elbows.
  • TeachMeSteam
    TeachMeSteam Member Posts: 128
    Options
    Question on Tape for Pipe Insulation

What do you use to seal the pipe insulation together? The space between each pipe segment?
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Pipe Insulation

Nothing just butt the insulation together. The old insulation wasn't taped at the joints.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,703
    Options
    tape

I use PVC tape I got from the same website I bought the insulation from.  Home depot didn't have anything I wanted.  I was after 1" quality insuation and the stuff I bought from http://www.buyinsulationproducts.com/  also has a plastic vapor barrier, not paper.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624
    Options
    ASJ

I think you want to look for something called All-Service Jacketing (ASJ) tape.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    i like to use

an application of childers mastic followed by a wrap of thin skrim like cheese cloth.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• ChrisJ
    Options
    Eww

I could never use the phrase "I like to" when talking about insulation of any type.

If I didn't hate it so much the rest of mine would be done instead of sitting in a box in the basement.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    white PP tape

3M makes it - very common in 3" width which is it's used for "bubble wrap" inside metal buildings.  I had to order a case to get the 1-1/2" we use.
  • TeachMeSteam
    TeachMeSteam Member Posts: 128
    Options
    Near Boiler Pipe Insulation

Chris,

I'm looking at your pictures. I like your near boiler piping.

What did you use to insulate your near boiler piping?
  • ChrisJ
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Insulation

Thanks for the compliment, I later insulated one of the king valves and then decided insulating sucks and kind of gave up. :) I just finished doing a small section of main that popped and squeaked when you walked on the floor over it. Now its nice and quiet. I still need to do some other sections of runouts but its kind of a low priority unfortunately.

I used insulation and PVC covers that come with a small blanket of insulation along with PVC tape. It all came from http://www.buyinsulationproducts.com/

The stuff is by no means cheap though unfortunatly. I also used a round cutting tool along with wooden dowels that came from them where I put supports. The wood keeps the pipes from making expansion noises as well as keeping the support from crushing the insulation.
This discussion has been closed.