Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pigtail modification

Options
Please refer to the photo. To make my life easier when checking the pigtail I would like to install a new one on a union attached to the top gauge glass fitting, similar to the existing. I need to go with the same style pigtail because the wire to the pressuretrol is short. Installing the union will make the pressuretrol and service switch box interfere. My question is this - is there any issue in installing the pressuretrol rotated on angle to the face of the boiler to clear the switch box? The pressuretrol is set vertically. Thank you.

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    You can get a longer wire.

Don't let the length of the wire limit where you put the pressuretrol. It's just a pair of wires, and it doesn't even matter which one goes to which terminal on the switch. There's nothing wrong with that type of pigtail, you just shouldn't let the length of a wire dictate how you arrange things. Generally the higher the pressuretrol the better.

The pressuretrol should work at any angle, as long as it's vertical. If it were one of the older ones with the mercury switch you'd have to keep the loop of the pigtail perpendicular to the face of the pressuretrol because the loop expands a little when it gets hot, and that could tip the control and change the point at which the switch would make or break contact.

I don't see anything wrong with your planned arrangement, but I don't see anything wrong with it the way it is.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • ToddB
    ToddB Posts: 75
    Options
    Problem is...

that I can's spin the pigtail off without removing the glass and top cock. There is not enough clearance for the pigtail to clear the boiler. That is why I want to install the union.

Thanks.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Options
    Makes sense.

It's always good to have a union at one end of the pigtail or the other so you can remove it without disconnecting the wire.

You'll notice my pigtails are pretty close to the boiler jacket too, but I can rotate the tees a little to give them room to turn.
  • ToddB
    Options
    I tried...

to install a union and close nipple between the tee from the top gauge cock and a new pigtail with the same configuration as existing. Unfortunately, the pigtail/union assembly is too long and looks like it may hit the box to the left of it, shown in the originally posted photo. Given that we are in the heating season, I do not want to cut off the existing pigtail and then find out that the new arrangement has a conflict that I cannot easily correct.

I was thinking that I could install a nipple and street elbow from the existing tee and then install the new pigtail/union to the elbow. The pigtail would be oriented 90 degrees from the existing location. This way the pigtail and pressuretrol would be clear of the box.

Do you see any issues with this arrangement? I don't really like the idea of the nipple and elbow piping since my original intent was to have a union at each end of the pigrail for easy removal and cleaning. Having that nipple and elbow adds a potential clog location, correct?

If the above does not make sense I will need to wait until the off season and totally rearrange the pigtail, gauge, and pressuretrol.

Thank you.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Options
    It might be easier to just unscrew the upper gaugecock,

rather than cutting the pigtail. Just wait until your house is nice and warm and it's not too cold outside; you should be able to get it back together in 15-20 minutes. Just close the lower gaugecock so you can take the glass out, then spin the tee fitting. It doesn't matter if it unscrews from the nipple or the nipple unscrews from the boiler. Just take it out and unscrew the pigtail from the tee, then put it all back together with PTFE tape.
  • ToddB
    Options
    Unfortunately...

that is difficult too. Spinning off the gauge cock with the pigtail attached hits the equalizer.
  • kevin_58
    kevin_58 Member Posts: 61
    Options
    pig tail

Extend wires and remove relief valve install tee for pig tail. much better location, less likley to clog
This discussion has been closed.