Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Insulating PEX attached to joists

Brent H.
Brent H. Member Posts: 162
Hi folks,

Quick question for you pros that do this for a living. I have a bunch of FostaPEX in my basement attached to the bottom of the floor joist with black C shaped clips with 1 nail. I'd like to insulate them but would need to notch the insulation at every joist since it is almost right against it with the clips (as opposed to just notching around the clips on every 3rd joist if it hung lower) Are there different clips/hangers to use or do I just start notching the insulation?

Many thanks.

Brent

Comments

• JeffM
    JeffM Member Posts: 182
    clips

Yes, there are other types of clips that stand off of the joists a bit. Viega offers some such as Lock Clips but I bet you can find something similar at most plumbing suppliers or maybe a big box home store. FostaPEX is a little larger in diameter than standard copper pipe so look for something not too tight or adjustable.
  • Brent H.
    Brent H. Member Posts: 162
    Viega Lock Clips

Will a 3/4" Lock Clip work with 3/4" FostaPEX or do I need 1" Lock Clips?

Thanks
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    clamps

Why not just remove the original clips, insulate the pipe and then use plumbers plastic strapping over the insulation to rehang the insulated pipe. That way there won't be any gaps in the insulation.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    or Arma flex...

and galvy 1" or 1.25" 2 hole clips.
  • Paul Rohrs_14
    Paul Rohrs_14 Member Posts: 80
    J-Hooks

I like to use 1-1/2" PVC J-hook.   It allows you to cradle the tube and insulation and it fits really nicely.

Paul
  • JeffM
    JeffM Member Posts: 182
    3/4" Lock Clip

Yes, 3/4" Lock Clips fit 3/4" FostaPEX (they are tight, but the adjustability in those clamps allows it to work). 1" is too big.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,791
    2nd on the J hook

Sioux Chief has some great hangers. This loop style ZipStick is nice if you need to lock it in tightly.

The dual "Hangs Tuff is handy available to 1-1/4". or the single hook.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.