Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

My new heatying system Home Owner Job ;)

GW
GW Member Posts: 4,796
Ok so I am a heating contractor as well.

I did a rather large remodel this year, doubling the sq ft of our ranch home, all new flooring, new 'above the deck' radiant panels with 3/8" tube. There are two remote manifolds outside the view of this picture. House is kept at 68.

I was on oil for the last 14 years, just had gas brought to the home for this project (300' off the road, bigger job for the gas co)

I went with the vito 100 because i may have an oil system and or a geo water to water, or a bunch of solar panels (or all of the above) down the road, so I elected to go the more basic route, meaning the 'not as smart as the 200' boiler can simply sit there in the background NOT making heat until a stage 2 called for it to come on.

The primary loop is completely separating the functionality of the various tasks- so radiant is independent, HW is independent (currently attached to the tekmar control), and the tekmar 'boiler sensor' is sensing heat after the close space tee boiler connection.

As I add more toys down the road i will need to get more creating with the control system.

Gary
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Nice

Are you zoning with he 402?
  • GW
    no

There are no 'zones', just a Tekmar 552 room sensor. We are using the entire house, I prefer running the whole system w/o zones. 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    Options

Nice!! BTW, For the cost of the Tekmar and mixing station, you could have upgraded to the Vitodens 200 (which has all the functions the Tekmar does) and used the LLH in place of the mixing valve.
  • GW
    yes

Paul, you're correct, but I did not want the radiant tied directly to the boiler. I wanted some separation. If I add a water to water geo down the road, I still want a smart radiant system and i do not want the boiler to come on AT ALL unless the geo (or solar, or wood, or whatever) fails to keep up.

I have geo now up in the attic (long story, lots of $ and time, lots of foam sprayed on the new duct system). You can barely see the pumping station in the boiler pic- I am neatly hanging my 100' breathing hose on the purge valves, so it looks a little clutter-like down there)

So, that's my reasoning, no normal home owner would pay to do what I did in my own home.

Gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    llh

I know it's hard to see but I have a 2" copper "alberta tee" with 1" take offs. 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    Connection

Any Geo system or wood boiler could be tied in with 2 tees on the LLH; if the LLH. sensor senses another heat source, it won't fire the boiler if the external heat source is adequate. Looks like the boiler is tied directly to the radiant....
  • GW
    No

The 1" loop is a just a loop, the boiler tees into it and the radiant tees out of it. The loop has its own pump (Alpha, there are 3 Alphas on this installation- Boiler, Radiant, primary Loop)
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    edited January 2013
    -

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • zacmobile
    zacmobile Member Posts: 211
    Homeowner

Very nice, I just commissioned my basement slab last night but it aint pretty. I just hooked it up for temporary heat as it is a bit chilly for working at the mo.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Congratulations!!!

Now, when talking to your potential radiant customers, you can speak in first person terms, instead of "I've heard that the comfort is incomparable..." You will now be able to tell them EXACTLY what it feels like,and that has a much greater impact on the customer than does third party information.

Did you go staple down or in plates or what? Climate panel?

Curious minds want to know.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Vitodens 200

Nice install. The 200 would have done everything everything you want to do without the need of all the tekmar controls. Adding a Caleffi ThermoCon Buffer tank to integrate down the line would make the install easier and compact on the control side. Boiler would be a second stage of heating. The Viessmann Mixing Valve would still operate while the geo or another heat source was operating.

Not bashing your choice or that nice work. Just not sure you may not totally understand the flexibility the 200 has. If your a Viessmann Partner that 200 would have cost you peanuts.

• GW
    ME

The irony here is I abandoned a stapled up Climate Panel system from my big Viessmann Vitola VBC 22 job from back in 2000. So I already had radiant, can't go back once you have experienced it. The new system are panels from hydronic alternatives, 5/8 thick panels with 3/8 tube. It's above the subfloor this time. Now the house is so tight and well insulated (I sprayed a little over two sets of foam in the attic, other contractor sprayed all the walls pre Sheetrock) I can't feel the warmth in the floor anymore. I will live with this small concern and I have yet to see the little Vito 100 on its second bar on the little tachometer ( house is about 2750 sq ft).

i painstakingly baby sat every sq foot of the attic as far as air tightness and sprayed the rim joists as well. I went basic r19 fiberglass for the floor (money was starting to dry up and I can easily spray the basement if I want down the road). Blower door: 3.3 ach 50.

Waterfurnace envision 3 ton also can heat the house. I run it two times during the night to keep water from getting chilly. System pulls about 1.9 kw hour total (including Wilo Statos). I have some geo lines up in the attic with only basic armaflex, I need to get some methanol, if I have a power outage in very cold weather I may be in trouble. The geo unit is in its own insulated room in the attic.

So this is what I did all last year
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    Chris

I guess I was misinformed. The thought of a pump running 24/7 below wwsd ( when heat is not needed that is) was not appealing to me. What coding parameter shuts the boiler pump down if there is no need for heat? Like when the 200 goes to off mode (night time) why does the pump still run?

I realize not everyone is a Tekmar fan. I got an impression once a long time ago Viessmann and Tekmar weren't in love with each other. I used to nay say Tekmar until some local boiler job I did had it called out in the job specs, so I just had to trade in my self inflicted ignorance and became a believer.

If I was going to get a 200 for next to nothing I would have went with it. I paid maybe 400 less than my normal cost for the 100. I truly thought the Partner Program was for acquiring free Viessman apparel and such, which I just assume wear my own company logo'd apparel.

I have installed over 100 wall hung viessmanns. I am quite loyal to the brand. I have however acquired a deep fondness of Buderus g125. Is Viessmann going to roll out something to compete with this or is oil on the back burner ? I have installed several dozen Viessmann oil fired but I am seeking from fresh blood from the Leader when it comes to oil.

Gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    No Oil

On the horizon. There was talk of the wall hung but the sulfur content in our oil seems to be a sticking point.

Coding 51 to stop the boiler pump as well as using the external demand functions. External demand is a heating program change over function which is misapplied more the properly applied.

I take it a few steps further for my Viessmann partners then just the personal use discount. This isn't the forum for expanding on it.

This discussion has been closed.