Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressuretrol or gauge

Options
mtlight
mtlight Member Posts: 28
I have a new Williamson GSA 150 steam boiler. Im working out the kinks in the new system. All and all working well after a few skims and adjusting some main hanger straps. One problem Im having is with my pressuretrol or gauge. I have a Honeywell P404 and have it set to 1.5 cut out and .5 cut in. The gauge shows it cutting out at 4.5 and in at 3. way too high. If I keep my thermo at 68 u dont notice, but on long calls after a setback I notice on the cutout that there is some excess pressure and the vents will hiss. Question

Pressuretrol or Gauge? Which is more likely to be the culprit? Im guessing troll.

Also have two Gorton #1's near the end of a 40 ft 2" main. Do I need more or would it help? Thanks in advance

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    Suspect them both

The gauges, and pressuretrols supplied with most boilers are the cheapest available, and in my book best suited to holding open the installation manual as work progresses. Get a 0-3 psi gauge, and put it on a tee with the unfortunately code-required 0-30 gauge.

If you then find the pressuretrol to be mis managing the pressure, then get a 0-4 psi vaporstat.--NBC
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Ordinarily I'd suspect the gauge.

30 psi gauges are usually not too accurate, but considering the symptoms you're seeing, the Pressuretrol is apparently off by a few pounds. They can be recalibrated, but since this is a new system, I'd ask for a replacement first. You'd need a more accurate gauge to do the calibration, and while you might want to get one anyway, they are kind of obligated to give you controls that work with a new boiler.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Sil
    Sil Member Posts: 72
    Options
    I kinda have the same question

My cutoff (as read from a 0-3 guage) actually happens at about 2.75-3 when the brand new pressuretrol is set to 2.

The cut-in seems to be fairly accurate (based on where it cut-out).

I am suprised in this day and age that there isnt a more electronic / less mechanical means of achieveing what a p-trol does (or is there and I am not informed).

Should I be concerned about the cutout happening iat 2.75?
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Cut-Out

Turn the screw on the pressuretrol until you can get it to cut out at 2 or even better 1.5. Who cares what it actually says on the scale of the pressuretrol. Then adjust the differential to get it to cut in at .5. Same thing who cares what the scale actually reads.
This discussion has been closed.